Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

J

2 Posts

October 27th, 2021 21:00

Dell XPS 15 9500 having screen issues/freezing

I have had this issue since I got the laptop in August of 2020, but the screen issues never bothered me that much and it was pretty consistent on what would cause the freezing. It usually occurred when I would be doing things that would be harder on my computer, such as playing a video game or watching a YouTube video. I needed to use it for school so I never had a chance to ship it in when I still had it under warranty.

Now it seems to occur at completely random times. I could be looking simple things up and be on websites and it freezes, or I can be playing video games and it freezes. Usually when it freezes, the screen simply just freezes. Everything is still operational on the computer; the sound works, the computer is still running and operating, it's just that the screen isn't going with it. For example, I can still X out of a website, the screen just won't reflect that I am doing that. Sometimes it will freeze, but it has the appearance of the picture I have inserted instead of the normal frozen screen of what I previously was doing.IMG-9054.jpg

My current (and well-working) remedy to this is to just close the computer, open it back up, and log back in. It only takes 5 seconds or so, which really doesn't make it a hassle. Every once in a great while, the screen will still appear as frozen even when I shut up and open it back up, but shutting it all the way off by holding the power button fixes this issue, I just will lose anything that I previously had been working on and that hadn't been saved.

If anyone reading this feels that the issue is purely what I have described (essentially just cosmetic and not a motherboard or CPU issue) and not something more detrimental to my computer's longevity, let me know. 

I have no other issues with my laptop besides this, it runs absolutely fantastic. If this is something that you feel GeekSquad or a typical computer place can fix up for a reasonable price, I'd rather try that than wait for Dell's long shipping/repair times.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

6 Posts

January 25th, 2022 16:00

That's definitely weird. I am testing out a suggestion from their support team to see if it makes any difference. Suggestion was to uninstall the Intel Graphics Command center. I'll circle back in a week if my screen doesn't freeze and immediately if it does.

6 Posts

January 26th, 2022 04:00

So, I just had my first freeze since uninstalling the Intel Graphics Command center. I was using my laptop on battery and casually browsing the internet. Next thing I guess would be to trial safe mode.

• 

25.5K Posts

January 27th, 2022 22:00

Hello, I see you are looking for assistance. If you need our help, you could start a private message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

I have the exact issue with a 3 month old XPS.  If the old intel software allowed the auto-refresh to be disabled I assume there must be a registry entry that controls that.  I had a cursory look but am no Registry expert.  Anyone out there with Registry skills.  This fault is doing my head in (although not that much that I am willing to call Dell Support and tell them 100 times that I have rebooted my computer and updated all drivers, including the Bios).

I buy all the PC's for our business and this is pretty much the end of the line for Dell.  It is phenomenal that this issue still exists after all this time.  The most simple search shows it being a problem for years.

9 Posts

The registry key is somewhere in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\

Either in folder 0000 or 0001 and possibly look for the key FeatureTestControl. I'm still not certain though. 

Can you tell me how to create a private message? I am new to these boards.  

Thanks

6 Posts

January 29th, 2022 12:00

Update.

The safe mode obviously didn't freeze because it wouldn't load all services like in normal mode. So as suggested, I started up my system in a selective start-up mode and disabled all non-Microsoft services (all done in 'System Configuration'). My laptop didn't freeze for a whole day but did freeze towards the end of the 2nd day. And just experienced the 2nd freeze just before posting this. So, essentially, no respite yet.

9 Posts

January 30th, 2022 06:00

Updated OS to Windows 11 as requested by customer support. Did not solve the problem.

12 Posts

January 31st, 2022 06:00

That's good. I found two keys in 0001 folder

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001

PSR2Disable value was 0, changed it to 1

Psr2DrrsEnable was 1, changed to 0

PSR - Panel Self Refresh

Haven't had any freezing since I changed those.

January 31st, 2022 13:00

I was about to post the same thing.  I only changed the PSR2Disable value from 0, to 1 and have had no issues over the last 24 hours.  I have been running video's throughout that whole time.

Normal care with registry changes applies so be careful but it sure does feel good using the computer without expecting the video to stop.

aram89, thanks for pushing me in the right direction.  

9 Posts

February 2nd, 2022 01:00

The community came together to solve this one! Great job @Lee_Bourke and @Maximum5000 

It seemed to have fixed it for me as well

1 Message

March 2nd, 2022 08:00

Bonjour aram89.

Pouvez vous expliquer en détaillant les étapes le moyen de régler ce problème de gel. 

Merci.

9 Posts

March 3rd, 2022 13:00

I have sent you a PM with instructions

1 Message

March 8th, 2022 20:00

Is there any way you could tell me exactly how you did this? This problem has been driving me crazy for 2 years now

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

March 14th, 2022 08:00

Thanks for the feedback/updates on this. Did you edit both entries or just the one? 

No Events found!