Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

December 21st, 2020 07:00

Dell XPS 15 7590 (Thunderbolt 3) USB-C Charging Limited

I recently purchased a USB-C monitor with Power delivery up to 94W, but when I plug my laptop into the monitor I don't seem to be getting the full wattage. I understand that the laptop uses an 130W charge, but this should not be an issue for the simple excel work I am doing. If I require more performance I will plug in the AC adapter.

What is strange and aggravating is that the USB-C connected to an official Dell dock is able to use the full 130W which is the setup at my work. I just want to be able to connect one cord from my laptop to the monitor

It is false advertising to advertise the port as "Thunderbolt 3 (USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C) port with Power delivery", when I am unable to charge up to the Thunderbolt 3 standard of 100W. Dell must have some restrictions in place. I am not super tech savvy, but I bet this issue could be resolved with a software/bios update and is not hardware based but I may be wrong.

Is anyone aware of a BIOS update to allow the full PD Thunderbolt 3 Wattage of at least 100W?

• 

25.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2020 01:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

No Events found!