Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 6th, 2021 22:00

XPS 8940, uninstalled Dell bloatware keeps reinstalling itself after reboot

Does anyone know how to permanently get rid of the various Dell and McAfee apps that plague my system? Particularly McAfee and Dell Partner Promotions. Though I would really like to remove all of them.

I tried following the instructions in other posts. Eg. Add/Remove programs, Terminated app then Uninstall app. They disappear from the 'Program Files' folder but on reboot they all reinstall. It is really irritating and I don't know where they are reinstalling from. 

Aside from the significant amount of memory these apps seem to consume and unknown performance hit to the system I am also not thrilled that I have paid $2500 for a computer with advertisements built into Windows! (Dell Partner Promotions)

Dell please take note! Bloatware, Adware or any other unwanted software for that matter that re-installs its self AFTER it has been intentionally and repeatedly uninstalled/disabled is MALWARE! Initially I was reasonably pleased with my new Dell but this has seriously irked me! By all means pre-install bloatware on the system, some people seem to like it, but making it hard/impossible to remove is a great way to permanently lose future customers!

9 Legend

• 

12K Posts

July 7th, 2021 08:00

re: how to permanently get rid of the various Dell and McAfee apps that plague my system

do a fresh clean install of Windows 10 using Microsoft Media Creation Tool.  Most drivers you need will be automatically installed during the OS install.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 7th, 2021 09:00

McAfee needs hammer in the forehead force removal with McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool MCPR.EXE  MUST RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

Its like malware that returns. Even when de installed it leaves stuff behind including popups to reinstall.

The rest of the bloat is removed via Fresh start.

https://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/SupportTools/MCPR/MCPR.exe

1. Download the MCPR tool.
  2. Double-click MCPR.exe.
  3. If you see a security warning:

Click Yes, Continue, or Run (depending on your version of Windows):

MCPR.gif

Open Admin Command Prompt

Type systemreset -cleanpc

Click NEXT

it will leave html file on desktop called removed apps when done.

FRESH START.png

CLOSE.png

Apps will need to be reinstalled.

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

July 7th, 2021 05:00

I’ve never seen it reinstall on boot, FWIW.

Have a look at https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-clean-up-windows-10-with-the-refresh-windows-tool.  But note you’ll have to reinstall everything you installed.

1 Message

December 5th, 2023 15:04

@lb11​ 

I reset the pc your way but then dell reinstalled everything. It keeps installing an older version of office i do not want.

No Events found!