Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

10 Posts

July 7th, 2022 17:00

XPS 8930, will not start after moving it

XPS 8930

XPS 8930

I need some suggestion on how to get my 3 year old out of warranty XPS 8930 to start. I have a XPS 8930 that I bought from Costco 3 years ago. On Tuesday I bought a new XPS 8940. The XPS 8930 was working like a charm and was my work horse for the past 3 years with no problems at all. After I bought the new computer I moved the older computer to a new desk about 10 feet from where it was. I shut the XPS 8930 down on Wednesday. I had to disconnect and reconnect the assorted cables to move the XPS 8930. The new XPS 8940 was put where the XPS 8930 used to be. All the same cables/mouse/keyboards and one of the monitors are all the same. The only difference is that now I have the XPS 8930 set up to run 1 monitor, where before I was running 2. After I set up the old XPS 8930 (today Thursday) in its new location, I pushed the power button it would not turn on. There is no evidence that any power is reaching any part of the XPS 8930. I tried the obvious by replaced the power cord and trying another power outlet. Nothing happened. When I moved (I was very careful and gentle) the computer could I have jostled some switch it something that is preventing the XPS 8930 from starting. Is the on button broken some how? Is the power box blown? Is there something I can do to trouble shoot the various parts? The XPS 8930 has never showed any signs of distress at all in it's history. One more piece of info is that I am one of those people who keeps their computer on 24/7. Typically I will reboot once or so a week. I only tend to shut it down when I know I will be gone for 2 or more days. I always use the windows program to shut down or reboot the computer. I tend to only use the physical on button to turn the computer on after it has been shut down. The computer has been sitting on top of my desk (not under the desk) and my home office never gets above 70 degrees. Ideas?

10 Posts

July 7th, 2022 18:00

OK now we are getting somewhere! I pushed the bist light and it lit up and the fan started.  Any hints on how to test the power button and how to get and replace it?

7 Technologist

• 

11K Posts

On the XPS 8930 motherboard front panel header (x is blank), pin 6 is pwr sw+, pin 5 and 8 are pwr sw-.

2 4 6  8 x
1 3 5 7 9

bq6xaie93w461.jpg (960×565) (redd.it)

try to jump start the motherboard by using a small flat blade screwdriver carefully touching pin 6 and 8 (or pin 6 and 5) at the same time momentarily.  before you do this ground your fingers on metal chassis of case.

7 Technologist

• 

11K Posts

try BIST of your 8930 psu first to see if there is any power in the psu

How to run self-test using the button on the PSU

1. Turn off the system.
  2. Press the BIST button on the system and check whether the LED lights up.
  3. The light should be solid on not flickering or flashing and the power supply fan should also turn on to speed. If the fan is not spinning up properly this should be considered a BIST failure even if the LED lights up.
  • If the BIST LED lights up, then the power supply can deliver power to the system but something else is impeding the POST process. The next step is to check whether the power button might be at fault. If it is not, you should go to the following article for No POST troubleshooting.
  • If the BIST LED does not light up or the PSU fan does not spin correctly, then the power supply can not deliver power to the system and could be caused by any component connected to the power supply or the power supply itself. The next step would be to isolate the source of the power failure by disconnecting parts from the PSU, you should go to the following article for No Power troubleshooting.

How to Run a Power Supply Unit Self Test On a Dell Desktop or All-in-One Computer | Dell US

redxps630_0-1657243734187.jpeg

#8 BIST psu diagnostic button

10 Posts

July 8th, 2022 07:00

Good morning.  With the computer plugged in I removed the plastic female plug from the pins and touched both the 6-8 pins and then tried the 6-5 pins.  Nothing happened.  I was using a screw drived with insulated rubber handle if that makes a difference..

10 Posts

July 8th, 2022 09:00

OK I take back what I posted earlier today.  I tried it again and I can get the motherboard fan to start up but I can not keep it running for more than a second or two.  Not sure if it supposed to do this or I can not find the sweet spot.

7 Technologist

• 

11K Posts

July 8th, 2022 09:00

If you can consistently jump start motherboard for 1-2 sec by shortcutting pin 6-8 temporarily using a screwdriver, but the motherboard powers off immediately after you withdraw the screwdriver, try plug the power switch cable connector back on the motherboard header pins, and try the power button of PC.  Can the power button start the motherboard for 1-2 sec at all?  is there amber LED on the power button?

another thing to try is clear cmos on motherboard

1. Locate the CMOS reset jumper (CMCLR) on the system board.
    NOTE: For more information on the location of the CMOS jumper, see “ System-board components”.
  2. Remove the power cord.
  3. Remove the jumper plug from the password jumper-pins (PSWD) and connect it to the CMOS jumper-pins.
  4. Wait for 5 seconds and then replace the jumper plug to the password jumper-pins (PSWD).
    Figure 1. Clearing the CMOS redxps630_0-1657298829361.jpeg

1. jumper plug
    2. CMOS jumper-pins
    3. password jumper-pins (PSWD)

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 8th, 2022 10:00

@Mslacat Take a look at the back of the computer where the power cord plugs into the power supply. There should be a LED and a test switch (BIST, Built-In Self Test) used to test the power supply. The LED and switch are shown on pages 10-11 of the Setup and Specifications. On page 11 is a description of what you should see if you press and hold the switch. 

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

July 8th, 2022 11:00

Before you get too far, I'd replace the motherboard battery, even though you may have already cleared BIOS using the jumper.

With PC unplugged, moved, etc. it's possible the battery just gave out. Obviously, there's no guarantee that will solve the problem, but at least you'll rule the battery out for a couple of bucks.

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Check power connector between motherboard and front panel, and between motherboard and PSU
  6. Install fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery (~$2)
  7. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  8. Reboot

10 Posts

July 8th, 2022 11:00

When I plug the power switch cable back onto the pins, and play with the on/off button I can again get the mother board fan to kick on for a second or two.  I have to really play/wiggle with the power button as I push it to get this result and it is not consistent (I get a fan to move for about every 4 or 5 attempts).  The power button LED does not seem to come on, but remember my finger is on the power button as I push it.  Nothing else in the computer moves, make noise or lights up when I do this.  Just the motherboard fan. My finger HAS it be on the power button though to get the fan movement.  The second I take my finger off it dies.  This is sounding like a power button issue or do you think it could be something else?

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

July 8th, 2022 12:00

Did you read/follow the BIST instructions?

10 Posts

July 8th, 2022 12:00

When I push the power supply test button the green LED button comes on and the mother board fan kicks on and stays on as long as I keep pushing the test button, and I hear some clicks (either the Mother board fan kicking on or the hard drive possibly kicking on not sure) 

10 Posts

July 8th, 2022 13:00

Why yes I did,  But just to make sure I will go through it one more time

How to run self-test using the button on the PSU

1. Turn off the system. Done
  2. Press the BIST button on the system and check whether the LED lights up. Yes it did
  3. The light should be solid on not flickering or flashing and the power supply fan should also turn on to speed. If the fan is not spinning up properly this should be considered a BIST failure even if the LED lights up. Light Solid, Fan running 
  • If the BIST LED lights up, then the power supply can deliver power to the system but something else is impeding the POST process. The next step is to check whether the power button might be at fault. If it is not, you should go to the following article for No POST troubleshooting.  So my next step now would be to "check whether the power button might be at fault" How do I do that?  Is that what the  following step is suppost to be?

How to run self-test without the button on the PSU (Which button! the BIST Button or the power button)

1. Turn off the system. Done
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the PSU, and wait for 15 seconds.Done
  3. After 15 seconds, connect the power cord back to the PSU.Done
  4. The LED light should stay on for 3 seconds and then turn off. Niether the BIST LED light nor the power Button light came on.
  • If the BIST LED does not light up, then the power supply can't deliver power to the system and could be caused by any component connected to the power supply or the power supply itself. The next step would be to isolate the source of the power failure by disconnecting parts from the PSU, you should go to the following article for No Power troubleshooting. In this case no LED lights lit up so do I assume the power button is good....  I am going to go with the first test result and check to see if the power button need replaced.

So should I assume my power button is broken and order a replacement, or is there a way to test my existing power button before I order a new one?

7 Technologist

• 

11K Posts

July 8th, 2022 13:00

Re: How to run self-test without the button on the PSU

that instruction is for those Dell PSU that does not have BIST button on psu (not all psu have BIST button).  you can ignore it.

I do not think your 8930 power button is broken.  When you jump start pin 6-8 on motherboard FP header, you saw a sec of power in cpu fan: same thing when you pressed the power button then.  this means power button is doing what it is designed to do: short the pin 6-8 momentarily.

if you have not yet read this: 

try press power button and press BIST button on psu at same time.  see what happens.

if this works and computer can stay on, then

try disconnecting the power cord from the PSU and then holding the Power button operated for a full 30 seconds and then release it. Reconnect the power cord to the PSU and then try to turn on the PC using the power button only.

if still no change, have you tried clear CMOS settings by motherboard jumper?

10 Posts

July 9th, 2022 09:00

Hey guys thanks for all of your help.  I took the suggestion of pushing the BIST button and the power button at the same time.  It did the normal BIST light & fan thing but nothing else the first time I tried.  I tried it 2 more time but on the 3rd time ithe computer seemed to kick on.  Since the moniter/key board/mouse were not attached I tried to turn it off.  I could not get the computer to turn off using the power button.  I finally had to unplug the power cord.  I plugged in all the cables etc and hit the BIST button and Power button,  Nothing happened the first time but the second the computer powered up and booted.  It is running now in front of me BUT I can not turn it off using the power button.  To me this still sounds like a power button problem if I want a long term solution.  Thoughts?

7 Technologist

• 

11K Posts

July 9th, 2022 09:00

Well, good news you have proven that the motherboard is alive.  It is good you tried several times of pressing BIST and power button at same time and got the PC powered on without shutting itself off. 

your PC power button is definitely working.  the bios setting is corrupted in your pc therefore the power on logic is disrupted.  another user of similar XPS model had same issue as yours (only after press and hold the BIST button while holding down the power button for 4-5 seconds will the computer turn on.)  the solution in that case was clearing CMOS settings and replacing battery.

now you should really try clear CMOS settings by motherboard jumper and follow the other user's advice on replacing the cmos battery with a new CR2032 (the 8930 released in 10/17 is approaching 5 years age).

No Events found!