Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 21st, 2019 22:00

XPS 8910, 2800MHz ram not running correct speed

So I have a ipskl-vm (from xps8910) motherboard in my pc. The motherboard is in my pc and i thought about upgrading my ram so i did. Before it was 8gb ddr4 2133mhz, then i upgraded it to 16gb ddr4 2800mhz. The amount i upgraded (16gb) was recognized yet, my speed stayed the same at 2133mhz. I have looked for solutions for this, but i can't find anything on this. I went into the bios and there's no xmp (extreme memory profile) where i can change the speed of my ram to what it's supposed to be.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 04:00

The XPS 8910 BIOS is not capable of reading and using the Extended Memory Profile (XMP) profile of the RAM. The BIOS uses the Serial Presence Detect (SPD). Even if you were able to run the RAM at the higher speed the performance gain will probably be hardly noticeable.

If you removed the original 8GB of RAM I would try re-installing it along with the 16GB you now have. Even thought this configuration is not listed as supported it will most likely work.

2.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 05:00

the RAM never dicates speed, the CPU /and all chips and otherboard, lay out and all things on that board and BIOS do that. The ram is passive in this case, it only reports (plug and play) its max performance to the BIOS. The BIOS scans it and runs the fastest speeds allowed by DELL (period) and use the slow speed memory stick if you mix them .. the dell is not a gamers overclocking toy, sorry. the exception of cource is if the memory is way slower than the PC, and then memory sets the limit. there.

it's like your car,  if you put 250 mph racing tires on it the toyota car is not now a race car now will it go 250mph.

the CPU and all paths to the RAM are bandwidth limited, just  like all things related are.

In fact form what is called a Transmission line (in electronics, look that up )

The PC runs the Plug and Play show. not RAM. (dog and tail)

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2019 21:00

Thank you very much. I thought this was the case, but i was still hopeful and was trying to see if there was anything else i could do.

2.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2019 23:00

Similar situation as yours but in my case, I have an Alienware Aurora R8 so XMP actually works for my Crucial Ballistix 3200. Well, it allows me to set XMP @ 3200 MHz. Without XMP it is standard DDR4 2133. The sad thing here is I'm sure the DRAMs are capable of more than 3200 but there's no option for me in AWCC nor BIOS to manually control voltage, CAS, RAS, etc. I guess that's the price to pay for a turnkey solution from Dell...

1 Message

August 16th, 2020 11:00

@savvy2 Memory can run in several modes. The settings the SPD reports to the system are not the max settings. They are there for compatibility reasons and to conform to the memory standards. That Dell doesn’t allow you to adjust the speed, doesn’t mean the memory isn’t capable of running at higher speeds. The total performance difference may be a few %, which for some is why they paid the extra bucks.

February 22nd, 2021 08:00

I have a similar situation that is confusing me. I have an XPS 8920 and the specs say it supports RAM up to 2400 MHz. I have 4 sticks of 16 GB DD4, 2400 MHz, but the system and CPUID reports they are all running at 2133 MHz.

Why do the specs say it supports 2400 but the system is reporting it slower?

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2021 12:00

@amorrissen Are you sure the SPD speed of the RAM is 2400 MHz? Some manufacturers specify the higher XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) speed, but Dell does not utilize the XMP. You could try the RAMMon program to see what the SPD of your RAM is.

February 22nd, 2021 13:00

Checking in RAMMON showed the XMP speed at 2400 but the SPD is only 2133. I had no idea, but now I do. Thanks for the tip @Vic384!

No Events found!