Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Posts

September 25th, 2020 03:00

Studio XPS 8100, wont connect to wired LAN

Hey Gurus,

My old XPS 8100 is running on Windows and wont connect to wired connections. I have spent 4-5 days trying to fix but no luck. Based Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet adapter's hardware id it is BCM57780. I have a WIFi adapter working nicely on this.

My target is to get wired connection running on it so that I can install Ubuntu beside this. I am looking forward to your help to resolve this adapter issues.

Many Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

September 25th, 2020 04:00

Does the network activity light at the Network connector on the back panel blink when you connect your Ethernet cable? Did you check Device Manager / Network adapters to make sure the Broadcom driver is installed and working (no indication of a driver issue)? What does the network icon in the tray area of the taskbar indicate when you put your mouse cursor on it? What Windows operating system are you using?

5 Posts

September 25th, 2020 04:00

The light is off in ethernet port. Device Manager shows no issues with ethernet driver. It is running on Windows 10.

I have tried different versions 12.2.2.2, 15.6.0.14, 16.2.0.4b, 17.2.0.2 of the driver but no luck. Wired network says cable unplugged.

5 Posts

September 25th, 2020 05:00

Light being off is an indication that something is wrong with LOM/driver. The same cable and router port works in my laptop.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

September 25th, 2020 05:00

@ak650 I am pretty sure the light should not be off. Try another Ethernet cable or another port on your router. On my laptop, even with the laptop shut down, there is a solid green light and a blinking amber light. Does the port light on the router show a connection?

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

September 25th, 2020 06:00

@ak650 I am not so sure that the light being off indicates a driver (not sure what LOM is) problem. My laptop is shut down, the operating system (and driver) is not running, yet the light works. Check the BIOS and make sure the Onboard LAN controller is enabled (it is enabled by default). 

It is possible there is a hardware problem. You could try running the Pre-Boot Assessment diagnostics. See page 44 of the Setup Guide. I am not sure the diagnostics include the LAN controller.

5 Posts

September 25th, 2020 06:00

LOM is LAN on motherboard. I did a pre-boot diagnostic and it didnt report anything related to LAN controller. Onboard LAN controller is enabled as well.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

September 25th, 2020 07:00

As an experiment, I shut down my desktop then booted straight into the BIOS before the operating system had a chance to load, and the lights on my LAN connection work perfectly fine even without the drivers being loaded. On my desktop, I had a solid amber light and a blinking amber light, the lights were operating just the same as when the operating system is running. From your description, either your Ethernet cable is not making a good connection with your desktop or there is a hardware problem with your onboard LAN controller.

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

September 25th, 2020 11:00

The Service Manual says:

The link integrity light on the integrated network connector lets you verify that your connection is working and provides information on the status:

Off - The computer is not detecting a  physical connection to the network.

So you have a connection issue between PC and router, which could be a broken Ethernet port on the PC or the onboard NIC failed.

Try clearing BIOS:

1. Reboot and start tapping F2 when you see the Dell splash screen to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings, to be safe
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall the battery (Time for a fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery? ~$2)
  8. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard, and Ethernet cable
  9. Reboot

Does the NIC LED turn on now, and is it green (10/100 Mbps connection) or amber (1000 Mbps connection)?

EDITED

5 Posts

September 30th, 2020 14:00

Neither the lights turn on nor network is connected.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

September 30th, 2020 15:00

Since you can't get any lights it appears that your integrated LAN has failed. If you wish to use wired Ethernet, you will have to purchase a PCIe Ethernet card and disable the onboard LAN in the BIOS.

10 Elder

• 

44K Posts

September 30th, 2020 15:00

Dell never supported Win 10 on this PC model, so it's possible the drivers you tried just aren't compatible with this hardware and Win 10. Or the NIC hardware failed. 

You may need to get a USB2>Ethernet dongle and disable the onboard NIC in Device Manager...

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

September 30th, 2020 16:00

@RoHe My experiment showed that even with just the BIOS running the lights at the Ethernet port work so I don't believe the drivers are involved. 

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

The OP indicated back on 9/25 that "The same cable and router port works in my laptop."

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Incorrect link status could be bad cable OR could be wrong duplex speed

Common mistake is not using pairs aka its 1 2 3 then 6  not 1 2 3 4

Good quality Cat6 cables are not expensive.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/A7011447

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/A7292798

CAT6  1236  orange and green pairs usedCAT6 1236 orange and green pairs used

No Events found!