Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

August 7th, 2023 15:00

XPS 8930, looking inside, RAM slots, add SSD

1. I want to upgrade the ram from 16mb to 32mb. According to plans I have seen and what task manager says, I should have 4 slots, but I only see two. I will look again later, but I only see two long ram sticks. (unless they put a dummy in two of the slots. I was all prepared to change the power supply so I didn't pay that much attention. However, being 75 and with bad eyesight, I am going to have to let someone else do the power supply. Is it possible that I only have two slots?

2. I was wanting to add another SSD to my computer but this time, a 1tb.  I only want to use it for storage as I want to move my Stable Diffusion folder to it. I got to reading about the NVMe. When I had my computer open, I did not see a place for them. Next to my graphic card slot, I have two slots that are labeled pci 1 and pci 4.  Is this where you would put a NVMe to PCI? It seems a lot easier to install the NVMe than an SSD. But I didn't see where there was a data cable. I watched videos on people installing them and I don't see them attaching a data
cable.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

August 7th, 2023 18:00

You will have 4 slots for RAM modules in your XPS 8930; 2 white tabs & 2 black tabs..  You do not need a data cable for M.2 NVME SSD. If you already have an M.2 SSD in the location shown below you can add a second M.2 SSD with a PCIe adapter in one of the available slots you mention.

(click photo to embiggen)

IMG_4045.JPG

8 Wizard

• 

6.4K Posts

August 7th, 2023 21:00

You can review this YT video to get familiarize with all concern relate components before performing work on it.

No Events found!