Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2005 22:00

opening "BIN FILE"

I have window xp..but unable to open a "BIN FILE" any advice on what or how I need to go about opening this "file"? Thank you for the advice

4.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2005 05:00

viga1197,

The file extension ".bin" is a very general name for files containing "binary" data. They're often used by other applications. An example would be an updated firmware image for a router. The program that would use such a ".bin" file would be whatever program is used to maintain the router.

How was the file received? Was it a download from a Web site, or an enclosure in an EMAIL message? Since the extension ".bin" is so generic, it's not possible to determine what purpose the file might have without knowing more about how you received the file.

Jim

March 3rd, 2005 13:00

also, it could be a CD image file.
Try using winiso (i think it opens bin files)

8 Posts

March 4th, 2005 00:00

I tried to open this program both tru e-mail form and tru down loading it. This is something that is needed to be program for a satelite recver. Any idea or suggestions? Plz...Thank you

4.4K Posts

March 4th, 2005 06:00

viga1197,

The program for opening this particular "bin" file should have been supplied by the manufacturer of the satellite receiver. Perhaps if you describe more fully what the satellite receiver is (manufacturer/model number) and what the purpose of the "bin" file for the receiver is, someone can help identify the program that's needed.

You might also want to consider contacting the support organization for the satellite receiver manufacturer.

Jim

81 Posts

March 6th, 2005 06:00

is there a cue file next to it? is this the firmware for you r satellite link? if its your firmware its possible you dont need to open it. if you need to open dload free trial of alcohol 120 if it has a cue file with it, dont think alc 120 will read just the bin.
No Events found!