Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

November 13th, 2006 23:00

creating a Bluetooth virtual serial port

I installed the Toshiba Bluetooth Card in my Inspiron 6400.  It's working and can see my Treo Phone. 

When I went to set up HotSync to work via Bluetooth, the wizard on the Treo said "To use a Bluetooth HotSync, you must create a virtual serial port on your PC." 

So, looking for a way to create the virtual serial port I found the Bluetooth Utiltity User Guide and it said:

"From the [Bluetooth Local COM Wizard] window, select "Create a Bluetooth virtual COM port for a client", and then click on the [Next] button"

But I either don't have or can't find a Bluetooth Local COM Wizard anywhere. I can open Bluetooth Settings by double clicking the icon in the system tray.  And from the Start Menu I see a few items, but none of them have the local com wizard.

Please help!!!!!
dt

4.4K Posts

November 14th, 2006 02:00

3 Posts

November 14th, 2006 08:00

Thank you Bay Wolf,

But when I click the Bluetooth icon in the system tray I am not given the option of choosing "View My Bluetooth services".  The "Bluetooth Settings" window opens.  The only options to select are "Help" "About" "View as list, details, etc." or "Add New Connection".  None of these lead to a way to create the virtual serial port.  Am I missing a piece of software?

Thanks
dt

385 Posts

November 15th, 2006 02:00

(followed the link from your post in the Inspiron General forum)

Do you have a "Devices" tab?
Right-click the Bluetooth icon in the "Systray" (next to clock).
Select "Bluetooth Settings".
Select the "Devices" tab. (might be "Add New Connection" with the Dell Wireless 350 - CRS)
Add your Treo.
Enter a pass code.
Select the "COM Ports" tab and add the "Virtual Serial Port".

The "Treo Bluetooth HotSync wizard" should guide you through the rest.

I'm assuming you have an internal "Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Module" using the "Toshiba Bluetooth Stack"?

If you don't have a Devices tab... have you installed the latest driver from Dell downloads, also?

Aloha,
Rod

1 Message

August 8th, 2007 14:00

When I go to connect my phone and my computer, my phone makes a noise like it's connected but when I go to the tray, it's not listed. If I go to Information Exchanger, Options, View Paired Devices, I see it in there, but I can't do any modifying to it. Why is this so hard??? URGH. Is there anyone out there that knows about this, I could really use some help here. thanks so much and I really appreciate any advice.

1 Message

October 26th, 2007 08:00

I realize this topic is a little old, but I just went through the same thing with my Treo.  Figured it out with a number of different help files.  If you're using XP, open the Control Panel and select "Printers and Other Hardware" - then select Bluetooth Local COM (note: if using classic view, no need to select Printers and Other Hardware - Bluetooth Local COM is in the main Control Panel list).  From there it will give you a small tutorial on Clients/Servers, and walk you through the set-up.  After setting up you virtual serial port, you can then follow the instructions on your Treo device.  On mine, I go to the Bluetooth application, click Set Up Devices, and then HotSync Setup.  Hope this helps! 

1.1K Posts

October 26th, 2007 14:00

caharris79:

Thanks for adding the additional information!

Regards,

1 Message

August 10th, 2012 20:00

I need help with this also, please. I cannot find the virtual serial option. I'm trying to attach my Palm Pilot to sync via blue tooth because the USB option doesn't work. I can add a COM port but not virtual???HELP!!!! I've been working on this for 6 HOURS and Dell wants 129dollars to help me! I don't have that lol...this PDA was a gift.

No Events found!