Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2017 01:00

Windows vista business to windows 7

Good morning and congratulations for your forum.

Sorry for translation.

Please, I have an Optiplex 740 with windows vista oemact and many programs now seek at least Windows 7.

Please, how to safely switch to windows vista (probably 32bit).

Thank you.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 6th, 2017 07:00

The OptiPlex 740 is now 11 years old... and Windows Vista Reaches End of Life in a mere 2 months.

Windows 7 will run on that Desktop however Windows 7 reaches End of Life in 2020 so going to Windows 10 is the best step forward. I would however recommend buying a new system or if on a budget a second hand OptiPlex 760/780/790 or 7010 with an affixed Windows 7 OEM license (which can be used to clean install Windows 10). This will give you substantially superior hardware and a modern Windows OS and cost about the same as a Retail License from Microsoft.

7 Posts

February 7th, 2017 08:00

Thank you for the reply.

For the needs of the user persons there is now interest in changing pc (at the limit, upgrade the ram).

For rooted usage habits, windows 8 and 10 are then complicated, so preferable windows 7, which would allow the continued use of portals, browser etc.

How can upgrade windows vista business to free windows 7 professional (well written and is already happened with another PC).

Thank you

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 7th, 2017 10:00

How can upgrade windows vista business to free windows 7 professional (well written and is already happened with another PC).

The only systems that got a Free Upgrade from Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional were sold ~6 months before the release of Windows 7 as a promotional offer.

The earliest OptiPlex model eligible was the OptiPlex 760 (with its latest BIOS update its SLIC was updated from version 2.0 to 2.1 and so it qualified for Windows 7 OEM System Locked Preinstallation).

You need to buy a Windows 7 license but Windows 7 reached End of Retail sales a long time ago and recently reached End of OEM sales. As mentioned its easier and probably at this point cheaper to buy a second hand OptiPlex 760/780/790 or 7010 with an affixed Windows 7 Pro OEM license then stick to such an old model.

7 Posts

February 7th, 2017 13:00

Thank you for the reply.

I think I understand.

But exactly which of aggiormento version windows 7 (32bit) I could use?

I then saw that some of the pc mentioned they also have 2gb, but now it would not be the least 4gb and 8gb for comfort?

Thank you

7 Posts

February 7th, 2017 13:00

Thank you for the reply.

I think I understand.

But exactly which of upgrade version of windows 7 (32bit for 2gb ram) I could use?

Some of the pc mentioned they  have 2gb, but now it would not be the least 4gb and 8gb for comfort?

Thank you

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 8th, 2017 07:00

If sticking to that PC (which isn't going to be economic given the cost of a new Windows License). RAM wise use:

• 4 GB for 32 Bit Windows as it cannot use any more than 4 GB.
  • 8 GB for 64 Bit Windows.

7 Posts

February 9th, 2017 12:00

Good evening and thank you.

The cost of the license may not be a problem, which in fact is rather to identify the correct license for the PC update.

Thank you

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 9th, 2017 23:00

If you want to perform an Upgrade Install then Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit... I however advise A Clean Install as your system will perform better.

7 Posts

February 10th, 2017 23:00

Thank you.

Therefore recommends windows 7 full and installation from zero (and not dvd version of upgrade to version of Windows 7 and install on the current s.o.)

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 13th, 2017 14:00

You can't upgrade for free, but you could buy a Windows 7 Upgrade on eBay.

Windows Vista Business in-place upgrades to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.

7 Posts

February 16th, 2017 07:00

Thanks.

No Events found!