Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2006 12:00

Windows Installer error MSI

Hi there everyone. I wonder if you can help me. I removed the Corel Photoshop and Corel Photo organizer from my laptop because it was shareware. When i restarted Windows a pop-up window with "Windows Installer" appeared asking for the disk which I do not have. On the Window it says "Sonic Update Manager" and in the window it says "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available." "Insert the "Sonic Update Manager" disk and click on OK". Underneath the message it's got a drop down menu that says "1" with the buttons OK or CANCEL on the right hand side. When I click on OK or CANCEL i get another error pop-up saying "An installation package for the product Sonic Update Manager cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package UM.MSI". I tried using the 2 application disc's that came with my laptop but it did not find the required file so I decided to remove the Sonic Update Manager from the ADD/REMOVE programs in control panel and restarted Windows. BUT THEN !! Another problem.. The Windows Installer popped back up with "Sonic Applicator" with the same error message underneath. Is there anyway I can remove the pop-up from displaying? It's really annoying. I tried to do Windows System Restore but this did not work.

Cheers!

Mike

2.7K Posts

May 24th, 2006 08:00

Hello Mike :smileyhappy:

I think you need to run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility

Read the instructions here before using it.  There is a download link too
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301

You will see a list of all installed programs.  Just remove the Sonic entry.

If you use this utility to remove the Windows Installer configuration information for Sonic and you plan to reinstall the program, you should reinstall the program in the same folder where you originally installed it. This prevents duplication of files on your hard disk or disks.

2 Posts

May 24th, 2006 09:00

I will give it a go!

Cheers!
No Events found!