Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 19th, 2014 22:00

Windows 7 Device Manager Empty

The device manager on my Dell XPS running Win 7 is empty. I've also noted that the desktop can't find my wireless printer on the network resulting in I can't scan to the computer. The printer worked fine 2 weeks ago so believe the behavior started within the past 2 weeks. It also doesn't seem to be able to find some devices plugged into a usb port like a camera. It does find a flash drive and correctly reports it in my computer but nothing in device manager. I tried restore and did not have a restore point that would go back far enough to correct the problem. I've checked the enum settings in the registry and they are correct. I've performed sfc /scannow, no problems. I've performed CHKDSK -r and found no problems. I've seen many, many reports on the device manager being empty in both XP and Win 7 but none of the solutions have worked (edit the enum setting in the registry, run sfc /scannow, CHKDSK, etc. I realize I can just do a re-installation of Windows 7, but would like to avoid that if possible. Just wondering if anyone has other possible solutions. Thanks, Bobby

3 Posts

April 25th, 2014 00:00

Resolved the blank device manager issue by biting the bullet and contracting directly with Microsoft tech support. After 6 hours my Dell XPS is completely repaired and working great. It was worth the $99 price tag to fox the issue. The problem was malware and a corrupted registry.

50 Posts

April 19th, 2014 23:00

Maybe try hitting f8 key when restarting and click on repair..

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 06:00

Garry7777, Thank you for replying. I did try disk repair early on and no problems were found. The sfc \scannow did not find any issues either. Bobby
No Events found!