Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2010 12:00

Window Update created a STOP Error 0x0000007E...cannot boot.

My Windows auto Update ran last night and said it needed to reboot....When it rebooted I now have a BSOD with a STOP error.

Error code is as follows Stop 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x7D7FBB28, 0xF789E3E4, 0xF789E0E0) 

I cannot go to Last Good Installation...

I cannot enter Safe Mode...

I would "Like" to restore to a prior restore point.

I don't have a bootable install disk....

I can download and burn CD's from another PC if needed..

Any help would be appreciated.... (Running Windows XP Media Center)

February 11th, 2010 07:00

UPDATE - I logged onto Recovery Console and did a search for Windows Updates that were installed yesterday.  (Run DIR $* from the C:\Windows directory)  Here are the updates that could be the problem:

KB971468

KB975560

KB977165

KB977914

KB978037

KB978251

KB978262

KB978706

Can one of you with the same issue check it out as well so we can compare updates?  I'd like to get to the bottom of this quickly as I'm sure this isn't the only machine I will come across today with this issue.

FIXED!

Ok - I uninstalled a few of the updates and now the PC boots just fine.  The update that caused the problem is one of the following 3: KB977165, KB977914, or 978037.  I started with my list above uninstalling groups of 3 at time to narrow it down.  You will need a Windows XP install disc to do this.  Boot off of it and enter Recovery Console.  To uninstall updates from recovery console, do the following:

1. Change directories to the uninstall directory of update in question:  At the C:\windows prompt, type "CD $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst" and press Enter.

2. Run in the uninstall script for that update: At the prompt, type "BATCH spuninst.txt" and press Enter.  This executes the txt file as a batch script.

I did this for each of the three updates I listed above (changing the KB... portion to match the update I wanted to remove) and the PC boots into Windows with no issue.  Now, off to research the three updates to find out which one broke Windows and why.  Post and let me know if this helped any of you. 

11 Posts

February 12th, 2010 21:00

It's the first one!!!

KB977165

i just followed you instructions uninstalled it and rebooted successfully

Thank you sooo much!!!!

God bless!

[quote user="Meridian Networks"]

UPDATE - I logged onto Recovery Console and did a search for Windows Updates that were installed yesterday.  (Run DIR $* from the C:\Windows directory)  Here are the updates that could be the problem:

KB971468

KB975560

KB977165

KB977914

KB978037

KB978251

KB978262

KB978706

Can one of you with the same issue check it out as well so we can compare updates?  I'd like to get to the bottom of this quickly as I'm sure this isn't the only machine I will come across today with this issue.

FIXED!

Ok - I uninstalled a few of the updates and now the PC boots just fine.  The update that caused the problem is one of the following 3: KB977165, KB977914, or 978037.  I started with my list above uninstalling groups of 3 at time to narrow it down.  You will need a Windows XP install disc to do this.  Boot off of it and enter Recovery Console.  To uninstall updates from recovery console, do the following:

1. Change directories to the uninstall directory of update in question:  At the C:\windows prompt, type "CD $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst" and press Enter.

2. Run in the uninstall script for that update: At the prompt, type "BATCH spuninst.txt" and press Enter.  This executes the txt file as a batch script.

I did this for each of the three updates I listed above (changing the KB... portion to match the update I wanted to remove) and the PC boots into Windows with no issue.  Now, off to research the three updates to find out which one broke Windows and why.  Post and let me know if this helped any of you. 

[/quote]

17 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 12:00

Cause
This issue might occur if a system thread generates an exception that the error handler does not catch. This exception can be caused by any of the following:
If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup or after Setup is complete, the computer might not have sufficient hard disk space to run Windows XP.
The computer BIOS might be incompatible with Windows XP, or it might have to be updated.
The video adapter drivers might be incompatible with Windows XP.
A device driver or a system service might be damaged.
If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it might be caused by a third-party remote control program.
http://www.deskdecode.com/how-to-fix-system-thread-exception-not-handled-0x0000007e/

1 Message

February 10th, 2010 13:00

The exact same thing happened with my computer last night! I tried to call the Software Support but was out of office.  Have you been able to get a fix?

February 10th, 2010 15:00

Exact same thing happen to me.  The problem computer is Dell Inspiron 9100, I updated all the drivers and Bios about a year ago.  Can't even start in safe mode, gets BSOD at system32 /driver /agp440.sys.  My STOP codes are  "***STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0X8050D532, 0XF78A63B8, 0XF78A60B4)"

Just chatted with Dell Tech chat support.  Doing Diag test on H/D.  If it passes, the tech recommended doing a reinstall on the OS. Tech believe it is problem is with the windows files getting corrupt or hard drive of the system has gone bad, It can happen due to bad windows updates or some important windows files get deleted. 

The only thing I can think of is The last thing I did was delete redundant registry using a registry cleaner, but I don't think this is the cause.  Does anyone who has this problem, remember if they might have deleted some window files?

February 10th, 2010 18:00

Well was in the process of re-installing my OS, and I had the option to try to repair windows from the Window's re-install cd. I said what the heck and gave it a try. After hitting R, windows seem to re-install windows, and after a grueling 40min my windows started up, as if starting windows for the first time, asking to register etc. And then it restarted... back into my settings. The resolution was changed to basic, but I can reset it higher, so I guess I didn't lose the video driver. I did get a pop up saying iTune helper will not run with out Win Service pack 2 or higher, so I guess I need to update windows again. I just hope it doesn't kill my laptop again like last night. 

So before reinstall, try to repair windows from the re-install cd first.  Good Luck.  Will keep you guys up to date if I totally revert my system to normal.

3 Posts

February 10th, 2010 20:00

My windows update ran on my Dell XPS M140 around noon today, After that my laptop would not boot, getting blue screen with stop: error code 0x000007E plus 4 other codes.  Last Known Good Configuration, Safe Mode, or any other mode will not work. Used bootable Dell disk, ran Recovery Console, ran chkdsk, disk okay, verified directory structure with Recovery Console executing MS-DOS DIR command's. I'm laying this on Microsoft as my system has been running fine up until today. I need to find out how to determine where the boot process fails and what potential device driver may be causing the problem. Right now I'm not able to identify the problem, so I can't fix it. Need assistance from Microsoft technical support. Need a way to step through the boot process or a log file to identify what's going on.

February 11th, 2010 01:00

I have the exact same problem. I did some Windows XP updates on my Dell PC (Dimension 5000, older model) last night, I shut the computer off, got a night sleep and this morning when I turned my PC on again it gave me this blue screen: *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc000001D, 0x80537008, 0xF798D4C0, 0xF798D1BC)

I assume all of this is caused by the updates of Microsoft and I'm hoping there will be an official update or something.

By the way, kfckernel, i don't think repairing Windows XP is the best solution because you said for yourself that you have to update again (which will cause the same problem if i'm not mistaken)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 11th, 2010 03:00

Hello,

I met the same problem a few days ago after windows updates ; STOP 0x0000007E (0xc000001D, 0x80537008, 0xBA4CB508, 0xBA4CB204).
I have an INSPIRON 6400. I run Diagnotic tools with "DRIVERS AND UTILITIES" provided with the computer... and met the following error testing SATA DISK:

ERROR CODE: 0F00:065D msg IDE device failed. The self-test failed the read portion of the test... So, I am lost I did not know if it is only a Windows update pb or/and hardware pb.

Do you have any clue for me?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Sorry, I have re installed (option Repair) with the CD provided with the computer... And  I can reboot and now I have fallen on old problems.

Thanks for your help.

I just saw that this topic is posted in Linux.. I found this topic via Google so I wasn't aware!

Anyway I don't have the XP cd here, I will pick it up sunday, so if anyone else with the same issue could try the Recovery Console that would be great!

Same problem with a customer machine this morning (Optiplex 170L).  It is running XP Pro and it looks like Windows Update broke Windows.  Gotta love MS for breaking their own products.  When attempting to boot in safe mode, I see agp440.sys as the last driver to load then we see the BSOD. 

3 Posts

Tried your solution, uninstalled KB977165 only, rebooted, back up and running.

Thanks,

Reg in VA

KB971468

KB975560

KB977165

KB977914

KB978037

KB978251

KB978262

KB978706

2 Posts

February 11th, 2010 08:00

after I type the command after the C:\Windows prompt it tells me the system cannot find the file or the directory specified

Help

No Events found!