Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2009 17:00

Need Help Copying Files And Programs From Windows 98 to Windows 7

Dear Gentlemen:

My relative has a Windows 98 First Edition desktop PC.  She does not have any USB connectors in the back of her Windows 98 desktop tower.

She has floppy 3.5 inch drive and a CD-ROM drive on her Windows 98 FE PC.   How do you copy and transfer data and programs from Windows 98 PC to a Windows 7  notebook  PC if there is no USB connections and no CD/DVD burner on Windows 98 PC?

Please reply back soon.

Thanks

Sincerely,

Egan

322 Posts

November 26th, 2009 18:00

Try Direct Cable Connection with The USB to Serial RS-232 Adapter.

Install Virtual PC 2007 and install windows 98 and install programs to it and run them

from there. Works on my computer.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Another option would be to buy a 3.5" USB drive case and mount the hard drive from the older system into it.  Attach it to the new one and copy your files.

You're not going to be able to copy installed WIndows programs -- and most of what you're running on 98 will need an upgrade to run under Windows Vista or 7 anyway, so that's pretty much a moot point.

4.6K Posts

First of all Egan... your introduction might upset the ladies who frequent these forum (Bev et al) :emotion-3: :emotion-2:

As to the question:  You can't transfer the programs in their entirety I'm afraid, since they each have their own registry entries associated with them. 

They'd subsequently need to be downloaded/reinstalled on the new laptop.

Hopefully - someone with more expeience on the subject than me (which won't be hard!), will be able to offer an alternative?

But the only way I can think of to get her personal files (saved documents etc) off the Windows 98 system, is to buy a new DVD±RW drive, to replace the CD-ROM drive :emotion-55:

Being such an old system however, the CD-ROM will undoubtedly be an IDE drive, so the new DVD±RW drive would need to be IDE as well.

New drives are not particularly expensive - with the fastest 22x drives currently available typically costing a little over US$30 on Newegg (those are all IDE btw).

FWIW - my personal preference (other than Pioneer drives, which are more expensive) is for LG +/or Samsung drives. 

In my experience, they tend to be quieter than many other makes :emotion-5:

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Good luck finding a PC component that has drivers to support Windows 98.

By a USB floppy drive for the Windows 7 PC. Copy files one floppy at time.

No Events found!