Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2008 19:00

My Pictures folder

Windows XP, I somehow managed to move the "My Pictures" folder to a directory off my c drive root directory by mistake (fat fingers).
Now when I try to access the directory in its new place it tells me:

C:\......\My Pictures is not accessible
Access is denied

It won't let me move it either, if I try that I get

Cannot create or replace My Pictures: Access is denied.

How can I get this My Pictures folder out of where it is now and back where it belongs?

Regards,
Steve

1.8K Posts

March 12th, 2008 20:00

I think the My Pictures folder is supposed to be at c:\Documents and Settings\ \My Documents\My Pictures.  Try moving the folder back to this spot and see if it solves the problem.

March 12th, 2008 21:00

That is where it is supposed to be for sure; the problem is that I can't move it from where it is now, I'm getting access denied errors.

Regards,
Steve

128 Posts

March 12th, 2008 22:00

I find my misplaced folders a little easier by right click on [Start] and select [Explore] or

from My Documents menu View > Explorer Bar > Folders

Will give you a list of folders on the left side of the list of files. If you find the missing folder you can drag and drop it back in the folder it belongs in.

Dwight

March 13th, 2008 08:00

I finally sorted it. I have just recently upgraded the HDD in the laptop and I still had the original disk, so I swapped the new disk for the old, put the new one with the messed up folder in an enclosure, booted with the old and plugged the enclosure in to a usb port. Once it wasn't the disk XP was running off it was easy to move the folder back to where it should be, then I used tweakui to tell Windows where My Pictures should be.

Regards,
Steve

1.8K Posts

March 13th, 2008 19:00

These stupid access restrictions are one of the primary reasons why I never use the Documents and Settings folders to put any of my documents, photos, videos, music, etc.  I store them in my own directories directly under the root directory and I never have to worry about when windows decides to take it upon itself to protect my stuff from myself.
No Events found!