Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2008 18:00

Help Needed

I have installed and uninstalled flash and shockwave many times, using several different suggested methods. I can locate them as installed on my computer but my games do not recognize them. Anyone have any suggestions. I use XP on Inspiron 1505 at beginner level.

10 Elder

• 

43.9K Posts

July 15th, 2008 17:00

Is your antiviral/anti-spyware software or your firewall blocking downloads from this site? You might try reducing the security level in your browser, or adding this site to the "trusted zone".

Ron 

52 Posts

July 15th, 2008 18:00

Ron, I just got off the phone after spending another 3 hrs with Dell tech support. This is what I know was done. My spyware and firewall program was unistalled completely. A repair program was run on windows. We worked in safe mode, Some zip program was run. I am closer than I was to solving the issue, The sad thing is that I have been handed off to a supervisor and he is not getting any futher that the tech. I NEED HELP.

10 Elder

• 

43.9K Posts

July 15th, 2008 21:00

You'll have to follow through with Tech Support. Without knowing exactly what they've done (and it sounds like they've done a lot), I can't help further at this point. So lets see what they come up with.

Ron 

52 Posts

July 15th, 2008 21:00

Ron, I will follow through with tech but have you ever found a problem that cannot be solved.

Forgot to tell you, got my printer connected with the help of a neighbor. Thank all of you for help. Will be back.

52 Posts

July 16th, 2008 16:00

a arcade

Hey guys, made progess, was told , I had a corrupted file of Real Arcade, it had to be removed with a special tool. I can download, Did not lose any of my games. What I need to know If Shockwave and flash were installed, should there not be a file for them? They both show up on the shearch and add/remove but I cannot find a file. At one point today, the tech showed me a file for flash but told me shockwave was missing. Neither are in the file that was indicated on the search, can someone tell me how to find them? 

10 Elder

• 

43.9K Posts

July 16th, 2008 20:00

Go here to test your shockwave and flash installations. I think the files may be hidden so you might not see them.

Do NOT use the Windows Add/Remove to remove either of these. You must use Adobe's own shockwave and flash removal tools. And if you have to replace/update them, remove the old version first with the correct Adobe tool before installing again.

Ron 

52 Posts

July 16th, 2008 21:00

Oh Ron, my computer is in a mess. My fonts are so big and I can't  adjust them ,my color is out of wack. Can't get in some of my other games. Contacted Dell, was told after 2 hrs, to call back in AM and speak w tech who repaired it. When I clicked to go to test page, it was black. I  always use the the uninstallers, I was only using the add/remove page to see if it was there. Please pray for my computer.

Dee

10 Elder

• 

43.9K Posts

July 16th, 2008 23:00

<>Your PC needs an Exorcist!! Are those games really that important to you and worth all this grief?? 

Is tech support coming back to help some more?

<>What browser are you using? If it's Internet Explorer, click Tools>Internet Options. On the new screen delete cookies and delete temporary files, including off-line content. Click OK back to desktop and reboot. Now see if that shockwave/flash test link works.

If you use something other than Internet Explorer (eg, Firefox) you should still clear cookies and cache, but I won't be able to tell you how to do that since I don't know those other browsers.

Ron 

10 Elder

• 

43.9K Posts

July 17th, 2008 00:00

Does it say "Installation Complete" in either of the 2 boxes at the top at the Adobe page?

If you hover your mouse over Create - See - About in either box does it do anything?  That's the only animation you're supposed to see after it draws the boxes on your screen at that page.

Click the link below "You can view the body of new message at the following URL:" in the email from the forum. If you click the first link in the email, it takes you to the beginning of the thread.

Ron 

52 Posts

Ron, My daughter is just before buying me a MAC, she says I will never have these problems again. I am call tech support again in AM , I have an extension number, MY games are primarily what I do on my computer. I went to the test page, bothe are installed but I get no animation. Is there an easier way to get to my thread without having to go through the whole list. Thanks for your help,

Dee

52 Posts

Both flash and shockwave were sucessfully installed. When I place over, not touching, create more options above. I assume this is the annimation. I use firefox, could not find any place in there toclean up. Did clean up Internet explorer and ran the test in that browser. Thanks. Dee

2.8K Posts

July 17th, 2008 15:00

Dee,

Are you saying you do see Create - See - About in boxes as RoHe described in his last post? It seems like you are but it's not entirely clear from how your post is worded.

10 Elder

• 

43.9K Posts

July 17th, 2008 16:00

Go to support.dell.com and click on one of the 4 green arrows. If Flash is working, you should see it load and the screen should change to offer more options, based on which arrow you clicked.

Ron 

52 Posts

July 17th, 2008 17:00

When I go into the test page, it says both are sucessfully installed. when I hover over create in both boxes. blue options appear above it.

2.8K Posts

July 17th, 2008 18:00

Great, Flash IS working. I'm Scratching Head 3 about your other post today though. You're going to have to help us out some more here. Yesterday you said you removed Real Arcade (which I suggested doing in the PM I sent you four days ago by the way) using a special tool because you were told it had a corrupted file. Once that was done you said you could download & you didn't lose any of your games. This was your only problem with the computer as far as I know from reading this thread. What's causing you concern now?

No Events found!