Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2005 00:00

Default Mail Client

I am getting the following message when I try to access addresses and at other times.  I turned off Messenger and that helped eliminate the number of times the message comes up:

Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the message request.
      Please run MS Outlook and set it as the default mail client.

I currently use and want to continue using Outlook Express as my mail tool.  I noticed however, the box to make it default is greyed-out.  What am I missing?  How do I eliminate the error message?

18.8K Posts

November 9th, 2005 00:00

DaleV,

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools|Internet Options|Programs tab. Select Outlook Express from the listing for E-mail.

18.8K Posts

November 9th, 2005 01:00

DaleV,

Go to Start|Run and enter this (including quotation marks):

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE" /REG

and click OK.

15 Posts

November 9th, 2005 01:00

Thanks Denny,

That option is already selected.  I still have a slight problem somewhere.

-Dale-

15 Posts

November 9th, 2005 11:00

Denney,

I tried that, but nothing appeared for me to click "OK".

-Dale-

18.8K Posts

November 9th, 2005 14:00

DaleV,

The "OK" button is on the Run screen. To get a definitive response from the command, go to Start|Run, enter cmd and click the OK button. At the command prompt enter "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE" /REG and click .

15 Posts

November 10th, 2005 00:00

Thanks Denney,

It seems to have worked this time.

-Dale-

2 Posts

November 17th, 2005 18:00

I have the opposite problem:

I have Outlook 2003 installed and keeps forcing itselfas the default mail client. The "Make Outlook the default client..." checkbox is checked and greayed out -- I can't change it to uncheck it. I want to use Thunderbird as my default app.
No Events found!