Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

November 7th, 2007 19:00

Control Panel no longer on the Start menu!

My Control Panel has disappeared!  When I open the Start menu there's no Control Panel icon there.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I'm using a Dell Inspiron 6400 with Windows XP.

Cheers, Chris.

4.4K Posts

November 7th, 2007 20:00

i use vista but try right clicking on the start button then click toolbar and see if you can find and check the box in there.

2 Intern

• 

966 Posts

November 7th, 2007 21:00

Try this.

Right-click on the start button>properties>customize button>advanced tab>start menu items section under control panel>"display as a menu"

14 Posts

November 7th, 2007 21:00

Thanks for the tip but as far as I can tell XP doesn't have this feature.  I think I got a message when I tried to access the Control Panel that "access had been removed by an administrator" or something similar.  But I am not on a network and don't have an administrator...

14 Posts

November 7th, 2007 22:00

I followed your instructions but there is no "start menu items section under control panel>"display as a menu".  What is going on?

2.7K Posts

November 8th, 2007 09:00

I have seen this a few times recently.  It is  malware which disables Control Panel in the registry.

Go to the HijackThis forum here

Read the red link at the top and then post your log on the forum with a description of your problem, plus the Model of Dell you have and the OS Version.

14 Posts

November 9th, 2007 21:00

Thanks for the advice, have just posted the Hijack This log to the forum you mentioned, hopefully someone can help me fix it soon!

Cheers Chris.

2.7K Posts

November 9th, 2007 21:00

You are very welcome.:smileyhappy:

I see a few nasties in the log so I hope you get it cleaned up soon
No Events found!