Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

October 11th, 2021 08:00

XPS15 9500 & Windows 11 - not triggering external display at boot

I have a XPS15 9500 teamed with the WD19TB docking station with two external displays, connected via DisplayPort (primary) and USB-C (secondary). All equipment has the latest available drivers installed.

I've recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now when I start up my system (via the dock button), it does start but there's no display on my primary monitor. The only way to get the display working is to force the shutdown (by holding the dock button) and re-powering the system.

This was never an issue with Windows 10, any build, so I suppose it's Windows 11 that's responsible for it. Regardless, have any of the folks here had a similar issue and possibly found a workaround?

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

October 11th, 2021 09:00

Just found this Dell article but I'm not on a domain - can it be causing my problems as well anyway?

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

October 27th, 2021 05:00

Just bumping this one up, as I can't find a fully working solution.

It's even getting worse - my monitors sometimes won't go to sleep after the system has been powered off...

1 Message

November 17th, 2021 23:00

Having also this issue.

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

November 18th, 2021 01:00

I've received no help from Dell whatsoever unfortunately, but I've managed to mostly resolve it myself.

What helped in my case was:

1. updating the Thunderbolt driver using the latest available Intel's (not Dell's) version

2. removing all pre-boot security in BIOS (with a great reluctance)

3. enabling dock pre-boot initialization in BIOS

4. doing the DMA Kernel protection trick referred commonly on the web.

The only drawback now is that the external display seems to be initiated twice and it takes a much longer time (~15-20 sec before the boot screen appears). The same applies to the shutdown - it also take about the same time longer. But at least it works!

85 Posts

February 3rd, 2022 17:00

I'm having the same issue on Windows 11. (Precision 5760 with WD19 docking station)

Had to revert back to Windows 10.

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

March 9th, 2022 08:00

Today BIOS 1.13 was released, maybe it will fix this, though I don't see related information in the download page.

No Events found!