Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

August 19th, 2019 07:00

Default setting for "Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support"

Since the April Windows 10 update there has been an option "Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support" when setting regions. We've recently had a couple of cases on newer Dell laptops where this was set on (which causes issues for some software) but the users don't believe they set it (they didn't even know it was there).

Does anyone know if Dell has that beta option defaulted to on for some reason (and if so, why)?

Best regards,

SWM2

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2019 21:00

Spoiler

Also default on my Precision 7540 received on2019-12.

This option makes is very good for utf-8 intercompatibilty with linux for the future.

but for now..I have to untick it as it makes it incompatible with windows versions without this option or unticked versions:

My case:

The version control software mercurial produces unreadable files after checkout on windows without the utf8 option.

so I unticked it and I keep my hg repo still in cp1252 on all Os(also linux).

I'll tick it in as soon as all windows running here provide this option.

2 Posts

April 29th, 2020 11:00

We have windows 10 ENT 1803, whenever you change language, this option gets enabled (BETA: Use Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support) and has caused some issues with some of our applications.  Took us awhile before we were able to point to this, a specific application that we use internally kept giving us an Error 173 code, and another one generated .NET Framework error with the mention of "Unicode UTF-8" as part of the error.  When we untick the box and reboot, all errors are gone!  

Now we need to find a way to change this using a GPO because we have had MANY computers affected (a batch were shipped with english OS image and french language pack was used by our onsite techs).  

I can see how to change the "Current system locale" language, but no take away the checkmark in the box.  There has to be a way to do this, someone on our team will likely figure it out, I don't work with GPO's so its not my expertise. 

May 28th, 2020 00:00

Hi, Were you able to figure out a GPO setting that you can change to deploy the change to many users? We have 1000's of users in our organisation for whom this change should be implemented

No Events found!