Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

2 Posts

June 18th, 2021 03:00

DELL VXRail 2 node cluster and expansion

Hi,

I am planning of building 2 node VXRAIL cluster and maybe later expanding it by another node or two. I have understood that expanding has been made easier from the VXRAIL version 7.0.130 but what actions must be done before installing a new node to the system (what services must be stopped etc)? 

I have understood that expanding a 2 node cluster is not straight forward as expanding a 3 node cluster.

Please advice? Thank you.

• 

7K Posts

June 18th, 2021 09:00

Hello Excavatorist,

The first thing that is done is you will need to open a support case so that we can run a health check tool to confirm that the system is ready for node expansion.  If the system is ready for expansion then support will provide the steps for adding new nodes.

June 21st, 2021 00:00

Hi, not looking for a support case, just fundamentals.

Can you just quickly help me to understand how can I expand from two-node cluster to three-node cluster (if my initial two-node cluster have been built to be ready for expansion and according to DELL's instructions in the first place)

I just need to know what must be done, what services needs to be closed/shutdown before the expansion.

Thank you.

• 

7K Posts

June 21st, 2021 12:00

Hello Excavatorist,

Here is a link to EMC solve online.  You can select VxRail Procedures, Upgrade and then it will ask you vxrail model and vxrail build & it will generate the procedure.

https://dell.to/3gL1KvH

July 26th, 2021 05:00

The first thing you'll need to do is make sure your 2-node isn't direct connect.  Only systems that are 2-node through a switch can be expanded.  After that, it's mainly just adding the node and removing the witness node from the config.  SolVe will have the detailed process.  The key thing is making sure you aren't in a direct connect architecture.  

No Events found!