Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2020 02:00

UEFI boot cannot load Windows 10 image

I have an issue with Dell Vostro 3590, but same problem could happen with any model of series Inspiron, XPS, Precision, Latitude, Alienware, etc.

I placed an image to drive of the laptop. I used same image many times.

Now I cannot boot to the image.

The image is a sysprep Windows 10 installation.

How could I boot in my syspreped Win10 image?

Error: "Warning message. No bootable devices found".

SupportAssist Pre-boot system performance check

================================

P.S. What a shame for Dell. New Dell laptops are factory locked!

BIOS does not allow me to do a Legacy boot (BIOS states "NOTE: Legacy Boot mode is not supported on this platform").

It seems Dell tries to convince us "Legacy boot" is a feature. No, it is not. It is not applying a feature. Forbidding Legacy boot blocks us from using most of old Boot tools. Dell becomes an enemy of most of open source community!.

7 Posts

August 15th, 2020 07:00

The issue is SOLVED.

UEFI does not support MBR.

I booted from a DVD with a partition manager software and converted the MBR to GPT. After that I managed to boot as usual.

I would like to note:

* Dell stated that my partition was not bootable. It was not true. It was bootable but new Dells cannot boot MBR. A informative message will be highly appreciated.

* When error happened, laptop fired a siren sound. I wondered whether I am notified for a boot problem or for a bomb attack. I didnt expected a laptop could make so loud sound...

* in Internet it was written that GPT/UEFI boot should be enabled somehow in Win 10. I couldnt check it, I just tried and i had a success.

* could you transfer this topic to forum for all laptops because it is not Vostro specific?

10 Elder

• 

25K Posts

August 13th, 2020 10:00

Note that the elimination of Legacy boot isn't Dell's doing - it's Intel and Microsoft, among others.

Anyone in the open-source community is aware that the option to do legacy boot will be completely gone from new systems within a short period of time.  Some are ahead of others in adapting to the new reality (Ubuntu), but everyone will be faced with the reality of the BIOS being history and UEFI being the present and future.

7 Posts

August 14th, 2020 03:00

So what should I do to boot from Win10 image?

10 Elder

• 

25K Posts

August 14th, 2020 03:00

Let's start with a few questions:

Was the image prepared from the same system?

What did you use to capture and deploy the image (SCCM or Configuration Manager)?

29 Posts

August 14th, 2020 23:00

@jorooo 

It's intel which is driving the transition towards UEFI i.e. removing support for legacy BIOS as a security feature. Just as info, AMD hasn't done that yet,in case you are buying a new system in future look for AMD.

As I understand there is an option to disable secure boot and then choose usb boot option. It's there in my 3491.

34 Posts

April 23rd, 2021 12:00

Even though I copied the Windows 10 ISO to flash drive, which presumably has a UEFI boot image on it, neither of my Vostros would recognize it.

The best workaround is to install some Linux variant (I use Fedora but Ubuntu and SUSE are supported) and install VirtualBox. The Vostro BIOSes have no trouble with a Linux flash drive and VirtualBox has no problems recognizing the ISO image on the Linux host.

No Events found!