Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 15th, 2011 07:00

What is SLOW-PCfighter?

I have this pop up now on my dell latitude.  I bought a walgreens picture and camera program, maybe it came from that.  But it bothers me if it came from phising sceme or spam.  Is it legitamite?  Claims it will help my computer run better.

20.5K Posts

February 7th, 2014 13:00

Considering that this discussion is over a year old I am closing it. Please see a related article discussing Potentially Unwanted Programs HERE.

If you have a similar question, please post a New Topic at the top of this forum or reply in the Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP) topic at SpywareHammer.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 15th, 2011 07:00

SLOW-PCfighter is a registry cleaning program. If you keep getting popups about it then I would consider that to malware.

20.5K Posts

December 15th, 2011 13:00

The application was reviewed earlier in the year. https://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=64baccbd14fdeb7cf4c21942e06855035f3c1a54d4882bbf43cfc8b64150e980-1296742281

At this time I do not believe that it qualifies as malware, spam, or phishing. Having said that, it appears that it requires a paid subscription after the trial period. If you insist on using a registry cleaner there are free options that we will suggest if you are interested. However, I don't support the use of so called "registry cleaners" because they can aggravate a situation and take steps we are many times not manually aware of.  It is better not to resort to such programs if you don't know what is happening with the proposed fix and the registry. Otherwise, a change to the registry can make a system unbootable by one mistake.

Here are some good discussions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Are-registry-cleaners-necessary
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099
http://cwsandiego.com/2010/11/16/registry-cleaners-proceed-with-caution/
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx
http://www.whatthetech.com/2007/11/25/do-i-need-a-registry-cleaner/
http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2007/04/do-i-need-registry-cleaner.html

If you absolutely must use a registry cleaner, always backup the registry first:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

December 16th, 2011 11:00

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware said my system came out clean.

December 16th, 2011 11:00

I know I didn't pay for another application like registry cleanup, malware removal and such. It is annoy some,shows up when I restart my computer.  When I tried to remove it, via  settings,control panel, remove software, it does not even show.  When I go through search files and folders a lot showed up with DAT files and bunch types of files with dates covering years.  I hate these things since they dig into you like a tick in hair.  

20.5K Posts

December 16th, 2011 12:00

Thanks for the information. As mentioned above, the application is not classified as malware. Therefore, MBAM is not picking up files associated with it. Try running CCleaner and see if that fixes the problem. If not, I'll send you to a site where someone can walk you through removing the files after seeing some diagnostic logs.

Download and scan each user profile with CCleaner (a good utility to keep and use regularly.):

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

** Select to download the SLIM version.

** Because CCleaner removes everything in temp folders, if you have anything saved in a temp folder, back it up or move it to a permanent folder prior to running CCleaner.

** We will be cleaning cookies as well. Make a note of any passwords, etc. that you want to save. If you do not want to delete cookies, simply uncheck that option.

1. Before first use, select Options > Advanced and UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"

2. Then select the items you wish to clean up. In the Windows Tab:

• Clean all entries in the "Internet Explorer" section.
  • Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section
  • Clean all entries in the "System" section.
  • Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.
  • Clean any others that you choose. In the Applications Tab:
  • Clean all in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.
  • Clean all in the Opera section if you use it.
  • Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section.
  • Clean any others that you choose.

3. Click the "Analyze" button. When the list of files comes up, click the "Run Cleaner" button.

4. A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.

5. Click "OK" and it will scan and clean your system.

6. Click "exit" when done. REBOOT.

Let me know how that goes.

3 Posts

December 16th, 2011 16:00

check first the pop-ups it is not always necessary that it would be major infections

if you found them coming always and creating problems then just go to

www.filehippo.com

and download super anti-Spyware and Malware bytes and run the scan it would Help

and after that remove them coz they will be the trial version

Perform this only if you think it's major just to be on the safer side

3 Posts

December 16th, 2011 16:00

it's very easy if you want to remove a specific software from the system then just download Revo uninstaller

free version coz it removes compltely from the registries and after that restart your system

the link for revo is

www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

20.5K Posts

December 16th, 2011 17:00

download super anti-Spyware and Malware bytes and run the scan it would Help
Malwarebytes has already been run. Why download and run it again? As, ky331 mentioned, MBAM and SAS do not have a "trial version" that needs to be removed.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

December 16th, 2011 17:00

Lobhas wrote:  "download super anti-Spyware and Malware bytes [anti-malware] and run the scan... and after that remove them coz they will be the trial version".

The FREE versions of both SUPERAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware are NOT "trial" versions... they offer effective scanners with full removal capabilities (at no additional charge), and which do not have any expiration.   One may [and in fact, I would suggest, SHOULD] keep either or both of these products on their systems "forever"... remembering, of course, to always UPDATE their databases [FREE] prior to running a SCAN+REMOVAL [FREE].

Both of these programs also have a PAID version, which offers additional features --- most significantly, the paid versions can continually run in REAL-TIME, to PREVENT an infection from attacking your system in the first place.   Such prevention is preferable to getting infected, and then having to remove it.   But if you don't want to pay for the protection/prevention, you can nevertheless still use the FREE versions to remove infections after-the-fact (as long as these infections are covered in the program's database).

Note:   Please stress that this post was made only to counter the assertion that SAS and MBAM were "trial-ware".   The post is NOT intended to suggest to the OP that these programs should be used in his/her case.   The OP is in very good hands with BugBatter, and I would advocate following any advice she offers.

1K Posts

December 16th, 2011 19:00

Crusader.

The problem here is that the program ( Slow PC Figther ) has not been installed in your PC, and that is why it can not be found in Add & Remove programs. It could be like you said that the camara and picture program you bought at Wallgreens came with some kind of advertising program add-on for Slow PC Figther and it got install in your system.

What Bugbatter and ky331 are telling you is the best input you can get here. MBAM, SAS or another security program can not do anything about it. Now if you had Slow PC Figther installed, at best, could be detected as a PUP ( Potentially Unwanted Program ). RevoUninstaller can not do anything either because it can not uninstall what you do not have install yet. You have to find that advertising add-on that is making the pop up to come up.

If CCleaner, as advised by Bugbatter, does not clean the pop up, come back here for directions what to do next.

Out of curiosity I found this in Howtogeek. See if you have the same folder in your files, but do not do anything. Just report back. Look the last post.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/win-32slow-pc-fighter-pup

Regards.

January 3rd, 2012 11:00

Guys or girls, After the Holidays for curiosity

I ran Slow-pcfighter found:

1 com/activex entries

1 font entries

1 shared dlls

3 application paths

4 windows startup items

271 file/path references

168 program shortcuts

59 empty registry keys

138 invaled class keys

108 CLSID/Type Lib/Interface entries

As of today it reports to date 1839 errors

Allows 25 free repairs a day but once it knew I had Avast! I had to make a choice of a repair utility.  But look below malwarebutes and Avast! have been clean as a whistle.  Which  do you believe?   Maybe one program is pretending to be an antivirus in fact they are the corrupting?

Run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware comes out super clean  Avast has found nothing either.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60.0.1800

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2011.12.29.02

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 x86 NTFS

Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106

Brian  Kearney :: BRIAN-54LL3OXE8 [administrator]

1/2/2012 3:54:51 PM

mbam-log-2012-01-02 (15-54-51).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM

Scan options disabled: P2P

Objects scanned: 111889

Time elapsed: 22 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

Avast! Free Antivirus  comes out clean.

Your avast! scanned 1103701 items in last 30 days

This report shows how your avast! security software performed in different areas – protecting your documents, emails, and web surfing.

File & Documents Protection

185130files have been scanned

0files were infected and healed

Web & Network Protection

746109web & network objects have been scanned

22web & network objects were infected and blocked

On-demand Security Scans

172462files have been scanned

0files were infected

5scans have been executed

24.52GB have been scanned

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

January 3rd, 2012 12:00

crusaders1982

This is typical behaviour for a wholescale registry cleaner. They find all these "errors" to eventually goad you into buying the program.

These are not malware it is finding, just remnants (particularly in your registry) that are doing no harm, and occupy little space. These cleaners do little if any good, and messing with the registry can cause major system problems.

Have faith in avast and MBAM.

I would uninstall Slow-pcfighter.

No Events found!