Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2012 18:00

Dell Inspiron 1420 Possible virus?

Hello, I'm new and not entirely sure if I should be posting this here but I just have a quick question that hopefully someone can help me with. 

Last night, I was trying to download something and a few programs were installed on my computer, including Babylon. Whenever I went to Google Chrome, Firefox, or IE, Babylon Search would come up as my home page. I quickly went to the control panel and deleted all 3 programs that were listed as installed today. However, Babylon Search was still my homepage on my web browsers.I searched the add ons on Firefox for Babylon and nothing showed up. Then I changed my defaults back to google and deleted Firefox, and everything in my recycle bin. I then went to start/computer and searched Babylon and nothing came up. I ran two full scans on my computer using Microsoft Security Essentials and nothing was found. I did a search on my start menu for Babylon and all that came up was the link to the search engine on google chrome. How can I remove that from my favorites/history or doesn't it matter? Everything appears to be fine today but is my computer infected or did I remove all traces of Babylon?

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

April 12th, 2012 05:00

When you downloaded and installed whatever program you did, it probably included an offer to [optionally] install the Babylon toolbar --- which is an aid to translation between different languages --- and/or set your home/search pages to Babylon.    It was probably "pre-checked" --- meaning that if you clicked NEXT to each screen in the installation program (without reading each one, to DE-select this pre-checked option), it was automatically installed.   Unfortunately, this is a very standard practice, by MANY companies.   In the future, you should always check each screen of any installation program to see what it's offering, and DE-select any options you don't want.

Having said this, aside from the undesired installation and home/search changes, I don't believe there is any actual "malware" danger from Babylon.   As noted, it's a legitimate language translation program.   SInce you have removed the program(s), and reset your home/seach pages, you should be fine now.   Mention of it in your favorites/history should not be problematic... if you insist, you can delete any (or all) of your "history", or "favorites"... but I see no danger in it remaining there --- especially since "Everything appears to be fine", and "nothing was found" in your MSE scan.

20.5K Posts

April 12th, 2012 10:00

Just to add to ky331's advice. Babylon search has plagued some users for several months. When installed, it has/had the capability to reinstall itself if all remnants of the software were not removed. In the past the removal procedure was rather involved.

Do not follow these instructions written for another person, but here is an example: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=107066

I believe Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may have updated their definitions in order to target  Babylon Search better than in the past. If I were you I would follow your MSE scan by running a complete scan with Malwarebytes (Free Version) with your browser closed.

Please download to your desktop Free Version Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from http://shop.malwarebytes.org/lpa/342/3/7268/index_b.html?gclid=CNm6q-_Vr68CFQqc7QodMyRznw

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.

MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

• If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
    • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
    • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates,manually download them from here

and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer,
copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes'
Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.

On the Scanner tab:

• Make sure the "Perform Full Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
    • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
    • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top.
    It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
    • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully.

Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found

• Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

Back at the main Scanner screen:

• Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine.
If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer),
they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM.
Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes.

Let us know if you encounter any additional problems.

No Events found!