Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2012 15:00

Best Protection for your Dell &; Alienware

Hi there ^^
if u looking for security Here are my suggestions:
i recommend Avast antivirus for you/your Dell and Alienware product.

its a great and strong partner for ur protection
agenst viruses, rootkits, spyware, and other types of malware...

why?
cos I'm using it myself! :D

the guys there are great and gonna protect your compy

in the best way, and block the bad things befor they gona trie to nest in

if u still skeptical try it yourself:

www.avast.com

i wish you great times and clean hardware
for your Dell & Alienware ! :)

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

March 20th, 2012 15:00

Hi Dimitrios,

Welcome to Dell Community :emotion-1:  Thank you for your suggestion. The team of regulars who volunteer on this security forum have some great tips for protecting and maintaining computers. If you have any questions they'll be glad to help.

12 Posts

March 21st, 2012 04:00

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

March 21st, 2012 07:00

Hi dayna24391,

One of the first things malware likes to do is to disable security on a system. I would suggest that you completely clean the infection first, and following that enable or reinstall your anti-virus. My suggestion is to post in the Malware Removal Forum at SpywareHammer and have the staff trained in malware removal walk you through the diagnostic logs and a cleanup. Help is free, but you will need to register there. In addition, there are other options listed at the top of the this forum. Some are free; some require a fee. Please use only one resource. It can be counter-productive to have too many people trying to help. Good luck! :emotion-1:

1 Message

March 21st, 2012 07:00

Hello there, I had bought my Dell less than 2 months ago, yesterday a virus was found i restarted my laptop and it wouldn't turn on, when it finally did start i noticed that the antivirus was missing. Somehow it got deleted. I'm sure it was original and i want to know if there's anyway to bring it back. I mean it came with the laptop so it has to be original since the laptop is brand new. How did the virus actually delete my McAfe antivirus!! please tell me if u can help me re-download it, i have an account on it and im sure its original.

12 Posts

March 21st, 2012 08:00

12 Posts

.my suggestion for all following posters that need help, no matter what happens before:

step 1

uninstal the antivirus that has fail,

step 2

install Avast  (test version or free) http://www.avast.com

step 3

Never worry about security agen! and have fun with your clean DELL & Alienware  :)

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

Dayna,

If you have McAfee installed on your machine --- even if it's been disabled by malware --- it's NOT a good idea to install a second anti-virus program (avast or otherwise) at the same time.

[It's also possible that the malware will not allow you to install avast if you tried.]

I strongly suggest you follow BugBatter's advice, to have your PC (analyzed and) completely cleaned first, at a site such as SpywareHammer, before you contemplate installing (or re-installing) an anti-virus.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

March 21st, 2012 09:00

Dimitrios wrote: "no one gona instal 2 antiviruses same time" (sic)

We don't know how skilled/knowledgeable each user is... therefore, we cannot assume they won't be naive enough to install a second antivirus, believing that's what you were instructing them to do.

Dimitrios wrote: "so u dident read it to the end :D DUDE :)" (sic)

Yes, I in fact read dayna's entire post carefully, and saw where she wrote "when it finally did start i noticed that the antivirus was missing".   However, that could either mean that it was UNinstalled (by the malware), in which case you'd be correct that there was no anti-virus on the system --- OR [with greater probability] it could mean that McAfee had been DISABLED (by the malware), so it appeared to be "missing" (or more accurately, it wasn't running) despite still being installed.

I have been helping-out in this forum for over a decade, and read all posts carefully, and strive to be precise in my language.

Dimitrios wrote: "uninstal ur creepy antivirus" (sic)

Each person (including yourself) is entitled to decide which anti-virus program they wish to use.   It's clear that you are not a fan of McAfee... well, neither am I.   Nonetheless, I would not refer to McAfee or any other legitimate anti-virus as being "creepy", nor would I advocate that the satisfied user remove it.   Remember, "The customer is always right":   If someone wants/likes McAfee, then we should respect their opinion [i.e., allow them their "space"].

Finally, Dimitrios offered his 3-step "solution" to ALL antivirus issues.   As it happens, I am an avast user myself.   I have been using avast for many years, I believe since version 4.   I am currently using version 6... but have NOT (yet) updated to version 7.   Avast (6) works for me... but I don't insist that it's the "universal solution" for everyone.   I believe that Microsoft Security Essentials is a reasonable choice (for someone who wants a FREE antivirus), and several other knowledgeable/respected members of this forum share that opinion.  I also believe that users have the right to opt for a paid anti-virus (such as ESET/NOD) if they wish.   In short:  while I myself am satisfied with avast (6) on my systems, IT IS NOT A PLETHORA!   I believe that ANY anti-virus (including avast, Norton, McAfee, MSE, ESET) can be "tricked" to allow rogue programs to install (via user interaction).   Therefore, the USER must be vigilant in what sites they choose to access, and what they click on.   They can also opt to supplement their anti-virus program by the likes of MalwareBytes AntiMalware PRO, which offers excellent protection against those rogues that tend to get through most anti-virus programs.

12 Posts

March 21st, 2012 09:00

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

March 21st, 2012 10:00

Dimitrios, I am not sure what you are referring to here:

dont worry abaut  ^^

Users often think that their AV is missing because they no longer see it listed in the installed programs or because the icon is no longer available. In most cases, malware disables and/or hides the installed security. Installing another AV would, in fact, be adding a second anti-virus because even though the original AV is not visible, all or remnants of its files are still on the system.

I hope this along with the excellent reply of ky331 helps you understand things better.

12 Posts

March 21st, 2012 12:00

12 Posts

March 21st, 2012 12:00

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

March 21st, 2012 15:00

I hope this along with the excellent reply of myself helps you and ky331 understand things better too
We are still learning. Thank you for your instruction.

No Events found!