Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2008 19:00

Antivirus 2008

I have tried all the remedies that I could find online.  Can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of this virus?  It's almost impossible to even use the computer at all.

Thank you!

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

September 30th, 2008 19:00

if you have windows xp/vista/2000:

download and install the FREE version of  

Malware Bytes Anti- Malware [ MBAM]
check for updates
run a QUICK scan
and allow it to REMOVE/QUARANTINE any items it finds.
MBAM should open NotePad, with a log/report of what it found/fixed.   SAVE this file to a convenient location, so that you will be able to access and post it later on, if needed.
this may only be the first step --- if necessary, we can then offer some follow-up suggestions.
NOTE:  if your computer is so bad-off that you can't download/install MBAM onto it, use another good computer (a second home PC, or a friend's, or one at work) to download the file.   transfer it to a memory stick (or CD R/W), then move it to the bad PC, to install and run it (even if you're unable to search for updates on the bad machine).
Message Edited by ky331 on 09-30-2008 04:30 PM

2 Posts

October 5th, 2008 13:00

I had the same problem 2 months ago and it drove me crazy!  After trying every "free" method possible, the only thing that permanently got rid of it was purchasing Spyware Doctor from PC Tools.  It certainly wasn't in my budget for that week, but it was the BEST $39 or $49 spent.  You wouldn't believe how much malware was on my computer after encountering Antivirus 2008!

Whatever you decide...good luck!

20.5K Posts

October 5th, 2008 14:00

dozierm, if you tried "every 'free' method possible" I am surprised that MBAM did not work. It has always removed Antivirus2008 nicely for me.

2 Posts

October 6th, 2008 03:00

With your comment of "It has always removed Antivirus2008 nicely for me." implies that you've continued to encounter Antivirus2008.  I can soundly say from my own experience to the original poster that Spyware Doctor removed A2008 completely and I have yet to encounter it again, nor any other malware problems.

Too each his own method...that is why I stated to the OP whatever he/she decides...Good Luck.

5.8K Posts

October 6th, 2008 03:00

dozierm:

You dodged the question: Did you try the free utility MBAM?

The experience in this board is that MBAM invariably removes Antivirus 2008, without having to buy any third party utilities (such as Spyware Doctor).

Message Edited by joe53 on 10-06-2008 12:20 AM

20.5K Posts

October 6th, 2008 12:00

" ...you've continued to encounter Antivirus2008"

Yes, I have encountered it on hundreds of infected systems as well as in research situations. MBAM has always removed Antivirus 2008 in one shot.
If MBAM did not work for you, please let me know the circumstances, and please post your log from MBAM. The logs are saved, so it will be convenient for you to find.
No Events found!