Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2013 06:00

Dell Venue 7 Won't Connect to Verizon iPhone Personal Hotspot

My Dell Venue 7 recognizes my hotspot, saves the password, has excellent signal strength; pressing "connect" has no effect. This personal hotspot works well with my Dell Inspiron laptop, I have the exact same issue with my iPad's personal hotspot. I am running the latest version of iOS 7 on each Apple device.

Please advise how to get the Venue 7 to connect to the hotspot.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 5th, 2013 06:00

There is a separate message board for mobile devices http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/default.aspx

3 Posts

January 11th, 2014 13:00

Hi,  just called dell.  Was having the same issue.  Guess i got a good rep on the phone.  By default, my iphone changes the hotspot name to Brian's iphone.  Dell products will not connect or recognize any connection with a symbol or special character in it.  so the " ' "  apostrophe was not allowing to connect.

I just changed my phones name under settings on my iphone and immediately had no issue connecting!!

should help all of you!!

B

9 Posts

December 26th, 2013 20:00

I am having the same problem with my BlackBerry z30. This is not a mobile device problem...it is a problem with the tablet's wifi. I have connected dozens of devices to this phone and this is the first time I've seen this issue. It's a problem with the tablet, not the phone! I have the same problem on my wife's iphone!

9 Posts

December 27th, 2013 13:00

Spent 3-4 hours with Dell on the phone and it was very frustrating. They said if it connected to my wifi router then there's no problem! After escalating twice to Managers, they finally said they will raise it with a senior tech. They are supposed to call me in 2 days. 

In the meantime, I will take it back and get a Nexus 7 instead - really hate to spend double the money and lose the SD card slot, but there are no other good options...

1 Message

December 31st, 2013 07:00

I am having the exact same problem with my Dell Venue 7 & 8!

9 Posts

January 11th, 2014 14:00

Thanks for the post.  Unfortunately, that's not my problem.  I have no special characters.  I have talked to 3 different reps about 6 times over a 2 week period and they keep saying they will call me back in 2 days.  Then they call me back and ask me what the problem is all over again and have me do the same troubleshooting again - forget the WiFi network, ask if I have reset the tablet, etc. It has been very painful and they are making absolutely no progress. 

I'm surprised you got it to work... have you received any firmware updates in the past couple of weeks...

I wonder if my Canadian version is different somehow...

January 11th, 2014 14:00

Perfect!

9 Posts

January 11th, 2014 15:00

What's perfect?  That my tablet still doesn't work?

3 Posts

January 11th, 2014 16:00

I just bought mine yesterday.. venue 7.  Read on here prior that I may have issues, so I wasn't surprised when I did.  I am in Canada as well.  tethering to a Fido Iphone 4S.

Sorry it isn't working for you!

3 Posts

January 11th, 2014 17:00

no..  As I mentioned in  my reply earlier, it is working fine now!  after I took out the apostrophe from my phones "name", it worked right away.

9 Posts

January 11th, 2014 17:00

So are you saying yours doesn't work either?

January 12th, 2014 02:00

Perfect that when I removed the apostrophe from my iPhone name, my Venue 7 connected and worked on the personal hotspot wireless network. Before that, I was using Bluetooth to connect my Venue 7 to the personal hotspot. 

5 Posts

January 13th, 2014 15:00

i tried that.  Removed the ' from the name of the phone.  It connected briefly, opened an external website, then went to a Limited Connection with no internet access.

1 Message

April 11th, 2014 14:00

Did you ever get an answer for this problem. We have several Venue Pro 11 tablets that are having issues staying connected to the iPhone Personal Hotspot. (iOS 7.0.x or 7.1, iPhone 4s, 5, 5s & 5c, Verizon or ATT).

9 Posts

April 11th, 2014 16:00

No I didn't. I spoke with 5 different people and every time they asked me the same questions and would end by saying they needed 24 hours to investigate. Then another person would call and spend half an hour doing the exact same thing and end the same way. I finally told them not to call me unless they had something new to tell me. Never heard from them again. My solution was to take it back and get a Nexus 7. Never had another problem since. 

There is something wrong with their wireless hardware or software...

No Events found!