Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2005 09:00

"Drives Not Found"

I have installed a 2nd hard disk in my Dimensions 4700 - an IDE drive to use to back up my data.  It works well but on boot up I get an error message saying that both IDE drives ie the hard disk and the DVD have not been found.  Both are working properly from windows.

Any ideas.

Colin

16 Posts

I have both drives set to cable select and both enabled in the bios.  In set up in the bios however the disks are not recognised ie it doesn't list the make driver etc.

Colin

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Check to make sure they are jumpered properly (as cable select) and enabled in BIOS setup.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 29th, 2005 10:00

First try replacing the data cable. If that doens't work, then try the drives one at a time - one failing drive can cause both to disappear.

16 Posts

December 30th, 2005 09:00

Thanks for that.

I have tried replacing the cable with a new one.

No Luck.

However I did notice that if I disconnect the DVD drive (on the master cable end) the bios error message is that the slave is not found!  I have tried setting the DVD jumpers to Master with the Hard drive set to slave and still get messages saying the drives are not found.  Any other ideas?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 30th, 2005 13:00

If you disconnect a master while leaving a slave, of course you'll get that error message.

Remove the DVD drive and move the other one to master, jumper as cable select (NOT master or slave). Is the other drive seen?

16 Posts

December 30th, 2005 16:00

Yes

It sees it properly as a hard drive and recognises the make model etc.

Colin

16 Posts

December 31st, 2005 08:00

I can now only get it to see one disk at a time ie either the hard disk or the DVD drive

Any ideas?

1 Message

January 8th, 2006 13:00

Hi,
I have exactly this problem on my new Dimension desktop. A cd shattered, yes shattered, in my dvd-rom drive rendering it useless. I removed it and decided to add a hard drive I had left over from my last computer. DVD-RW is on furthest ide plug, hard drive is on nearest. tried cable select, tried setting DVD-RW to master and HDD to slave but I still get the error on booting that it cannot find the drives. Windows does find them and they are useable only I am not convinced that they are working fully since I hear glitches when listening to cd.

Did this problem ever get solved?

16 Posts

January 8th, 2006 18:00

NO

I still get the error on start up but they are both recognised OK in windows and are working fine once I ignore the start up error.

If you get anywhere with yours please let me know.

Colin

13 Posts

November 18th, 2006 23:00

Same Problem here.. tried to add a second HD to my 4700 Dimension, and continue to get the Drive Not Found error.  The first HD came with the system: Maxtor Calypso 200 GB.  I tried to add another Maxtor 300 GB SATA.

Here's what I have done so far:

Swapped the cables.
Reset the CMOS
Replaced the CMOS Battery.

Both SATA 0 and SATA 2 enabled, I get the drive not found for both drives and have to enter setup, save and exit, then it finds the drives.

Change the boot to SLOW boot in setup, and it sometimes finds both drives.

Disable SATA 2, keep slow boot, system powers up no problems.. (by slow boot, I set the system set up to not skip any steps using fast boot)

I am now going to try swapping out with a SEAGATE drive and see if that makes any difference.. however, I get a feeling that the drives are slow to power up and the system is booting faster than the drives can boot.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

13 Posts

November 19th, 2006 03:00

Here's the update.. I am replacing the second drive with a Seagate, and in the process noticed that the power cable to the second drive wasn't seated well, and THEN noticed dust on the SATA connection.  So while I was replacing the drive, I cleaned up the year of dust on the FAN and the SATA connection, and am formatting the second drive as I type this.  We'll see if I get the same DRIVE NOT FOUND error. 

However, in the process I did notice my first MAXTOR drive running hot 73C, and now both drives are running a touch hot: 51, 63... hmmm.  It's always something.

I'm hoping that the power cable was the cause of the DRIVE NOT FOUND boot issue.  Will update as I get more results.
No Events found!