Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2005 13:00

liteon dvd-rom won't eject

Hello:
I have a Dimension 8200, pentium 4 1.8 ghz (purchased around 2002)
windows xp home
e drive: liteon dvd-rom ltd163
Have not loaded any recent/ new hardware or software on machine.
No problems with the liteon dvd player unit until 2 days ago, after playing a cd, tried to eject. Can't get it to eject.
Tried paper clip in "emergency hole" -- unit makes whirring sound and light flashes but door doesn't open. Shut down pc, and tried again, no avail.
Help?
Thank you
Todd

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 5th, 2005 22:00

Todd:

You shouldn't use the paper clip trick with the system running, only if off.

What kind of CD? Do you have DirectCD, Drag-to-disc or any other packet writing program running? I've seen this happen when a packet-writing program thinks it's got a disc in progress and will not release it.

March 6th, 2005 01:00

Hi Osprey:
Thanks form the reply. At the time the disc got stuck, I was using a sound editing program, Audacity. Is this a "packet writing program"? Anyhow, I'll try the paperclip trick with the machine off. I Hope I didn't cause any damage by trying it with the pc on . . .
Todd

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 6th, 2005 10:00

Todd:

No, a packet-writing program (Audacity is not) will be included with your burning software. For example, if you use Sonic, they include a program called DLA. I would suggest you disable or uninstall this, as it conflicts with some other burning programs.

Are you burning CDs with Audacity? Maybe the program cannot close the session.

March 10th, 2005 01:00

Well, as suggested I tried the paperclip trick with the machine off and, lo and behold, it opened the tray. The CD I was using had both a music file and a copy of the audacity program. It appears the problem has to do with running audacity off the disc. I downloaded the program onto my hardrive, and copied the music file onto a new disc. Now everything is working fine. Too bad -- I was looking for an excuse to replace the cd burner with a dvd burner.
Thanks for your help
Todd
No Events found!