Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2006 08:00

What is the best dvd rw for burning 180-240 minutes??

Hi,

I am wanting to burn about 3 - 3 and a half hours of film onto a dvd but without having to comprimise or loose too much on quality.
In the past i have used maxell dvd +rw (120 minutes) which can be extended to record 360 minutes but i've noticed the quality being compromised.
I've seen the dual layer dvd's but only as dvd r -  i'm wanting  dvd +rw -....

I've seen some vertabrim dvd +re but only recording 120 mins can i extend their recording time? or do i have to use maxell

Any suggestions would be great

thanks in advance

14.4K Posts

December 5th, 2006 09:00

why are you wanting to use dvd+rw as that's a rewritable disk?

232 Posts

December 5th, 2006 11:00

It sounds like you are using DVD-RW correctly. As you know, DVD-RW is nice for checking a project but it has very poor player compatibility.

DVD's do not have a set "minute" length. They can hold 4.7GB... period. (I'm referring to single layer media obviously). The bitrate of your video is what will determine how many minutes you get on a disc. Low bitrate (read: low quality) means more minutes, high bitrate (read: high quality) means less minutes.

To get 3-4 hours on a single layer media is going to require a fairly low bitrate. At 4 hours the quality will probably be similar to a clean VHS. The other big thing is AUDIO. Unless you encode the audio to AC-3 (192Kbps) you will find that PCM audio will chew up almost half of your DVD capacity, capacity that could otherwise be used for video material.

I have gotten close to 2 hrs on a DVD using very high quality source material (VX2000 feed), variable bit rate encoding and AC-3 audio. The quality of the final DVD was pretty close to what you see on a commercial movie DVD. I edited the original material in Adobe Premiere and authored the DVD using Adobe Encore DVD.

38 Posts

December 5th, 2006 11:00

i want to check the quality of the dvd and if not great i can re burn onto the same dvd

No Events found!