Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 3rd, 2008 00:00

New to burning .mp3, .wmv, .avi etc. files to DVD

Hello,

While I've had a Dell Dimension 4700C, Windows XP for some time now, I am new to burning .mp3, .wmv, .avi etc. files to DVD. The Dimension came with a cdrw dvd player only. I wanted to try to create some dvd movies so I purchased an external dvd burner. LG is the brand. The burner came with Nero 7 Essentials software. I burned some .wmv and .avi files, for instance to a new DVD-R disc. When I tried to play it in my Sony DVD player, however, I got an error message stating, " no image detected, no audio detected." What am I doing wrong or do I need different software or what?

Thank you for your help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2008 10:00

Hi, Brunetto:

In order to burn DVDs that will play in a DVD player, the video must be encoded to DVD format. So the WMV and AVI files must be converted to VOB files. Nero Essentials cannot encode DVD (or SVCD) video. That is its shortcoming. You can either buy the full Nero program, which is rather pricey, or another program for encoding DVD video. One idea would be to buy Nero 7, the older version, which is quite a bit cheaper.

92 Posts

August 3rd, 2008 16:00

Thanks osprey4.

I kinda gathered that and I downloaded the trial version of Nero 8. I'll probably go ahead and purchase the thing when the trial runs out in 2 weeks. But this version is very clunky to use. I don't know if the trial is stripped down or what, but the each help section has to be downloaded separately. And there seems to be no consistent guidance for the program. I'm using it hit and miss and will keep trying.

Thanks again.

No Events found!