Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 21st, 2003 02:00

LiteOn DVD player 'skipping' now FIXed !!

Hello,

I got a LiteOn DVD ROM LTD 163   with my new dell, a 4550 with XP and PowerDVD..

At first the drive was working fine, playing dvds, everyone was happy.  Then it started to play everything really choppy.  So I downloaded the firmare update from dell's library and it fixed the problem.  But not for long, again the playback seems as if it's in 'fast forward'.   Has anyone who had this problem solved it?  

I've read a lot of messages here, people with similar problems..  I've tried all that DMA stuf, and now not sure what to do.  I'll be callin dell unless someone knows the answer/  Is there an easy one? because it doesn't seem like it.

I tried pretty much everything here, http://the-predator.tripod.com/dell/sec6-3.htm#6-3-25  (thanks pred)  but none of them worked..  the answer is out there, but where

thanks for your time

Message Edited by bagelboy9 on 06-21-2003 12:18 AM

Message Edited by bagelboy9 on 06-21-2003 03:56 PM

6 Posts

June 21st, 2003 03:00

okay, soo

in the device manager, and IDE controllers properties I set transfer mode to "DMA if available"  (that's what it is at right now for the dvd rom), but right under that, in the current transfer mode box it says it's using PIO mode, so does that mean DMA is not available? perhaps this is my problem... but then how do I apply DMA ?

Message Edited by bagelboy9 on 06-21-2003 12:48 AM

740 Posts

June 21st, 2003 04:00

Have you tried turning off the Auto-insert Notification? Or is this an option in XP, I am not sure. I found the following two articles you might want to look at. The first link may not apply to XP. As for the second link, it may be useful if you are using PowerDVD.
How do I manually adjust the hardware settings for optimized DVD playback under Microsoft® Windows® 95, 98, or Windows Millennium Edition (Me)?

PowerDVD Configuration Settings May Need To Be Changed To Provide Proper DVD Playback

Are you setting DMA on the secondary IDE channel? This is where CD/DVD devices are usually installed. After checking DMA if available, just click OK to apply.

Message Edited by micmaxe on 06-21-2003 12:19 AM

6 Posts

June 21st, 2003 15:00

shux, those things didn't help, still got the same 'fast forward' type play..

as i explained above, I've got  "DMA if available"  selected, but right under that, in the 'current transfer mode' box it says it's using PIO mode.

dunno why, dunno what to do

740 Posts

June 21st, 2003 15:00

Have you tried removing the secondary IDE controller from Device Manager and rebooting? I am lost as to what, exactly,  you have tried and not tried. 

740 Posts

June 21st, 2003 16:00

Check out the following article look at Check the Drivers, you will find the info I am referring to there.

FA1011018

6 Posts

June 21st, 2003 16:00

by remove, do you mean uninstall?  I haven't tried that, what would that do?

Message Edited by bagelboy9 on 06-21-2003 01:01 PM

6 Posts

June 21st, 2003 18:00

SUCCESS !!

All that was needed was to unistall the IDE controller for the DVD rom, (in device manager - Secondary IDE channel for me) and reboot.. then it reinstalled the driver, and after rebooting again, everything works great!

yippee

Message Edited by bagelboy9 on 06-21-2003 03:53 PM

15.3K Posts

June 21st, 2003 22:00

Hi B-B,
I`m sure Roger does not mind but, he & I both are glad to hear the news you succeeded in correcting your Lite-on problem. Also thanks for posting the steps that worked for you, we`ll add this to the list...
Take care and good luck !!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

4 Posts

January 18th, 2004 00:00

Deleteing the busmaster stuff did not work for me.  What did was finding this utility to set the DMA mode.

Utility to set Secondary IDE controller CD devices to DMA mode.

http://support.dell.com/filelib/download.aspx?FileID=63977&releaseid=r53986

No Events found!