Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

II

February 23rd, 2005 12:00

Installing Windows 98 on a Machine With Windows ME

I've been having problems with one of my older machines (Dimension M200a) ...I formatted the hard disk, which used the Windows ME operating system, and tried to install Windows 98 but It seems like the CD Rom isn't responding. I recently read that you cannot install an older version over a newer version, but I'm not sure if this is true. I tried installing Linux but that didn't work either. I know the CD drive was working before the format, because I copied some files onto discs, so i think I may have erased the CD driver during formatting.

Please give me some advice on how to do any of the following:

1.Recover the formatted data-it is a 3 gig hard drive.

2. Find and install a new driver

3. anything else that will get the machine to work.When I try to install Win98, it is stuck in the step right before installing from the cd rom.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2005 13:00

You should be able to install 98. But I would start by deleting any existing partition. If your system can boot from the Windows 98 disc, it should load a generic ATAPI driver to allow use of the CD-ROM. Otherwise use a boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/ to boot the system with CD-ROM support and start the setup process.

The Windows ME disc I know is bootable, so you might want to try booting that first to see if the CD drive works.

February 23rd, 2005 13:00

I have the Win98 boot disc and CD rom, but nothing from WinME. The 98 boot disk works, but once I get to the step that calls for inserting the CD rom, everything stops.

when you say the ME disc is bootable what do you mean? Do you mean the OS boots right from the CD?

also, the linux version i tried to install was all on one cd rom and booted right from the Cd, but that also didn't work.

Thank you for the response.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2005 14:00

Have you tried booting from the 98 disc?

You need to watch what happens as the system boots to see if the CD-ROM driver boots properly. You'll see a generic ATAPI driver load, usually it displays something about Oak Technology. If you see that, but you still cannot access the CD, your drive may be on the fritz. Also, make sure you're trying to correct letter. The boot disk loads a RAM drive, so usually the CD-ROM ends up as one letter higher than normal (E instead of D). After you get to the prompt, change drive letters to the CD drive and try displaying a directory by typing "DIR" (without the quotes), enter.

33 Posts

February 24th, 2005 00:00

Forget the me disc and linux-leave it in the box or out of sight! It's unlikely but certainly possible that the CD-player has died. As mentioned here, I think you just need to get the switches/drivers correct. Use the floppy to gain access to your partitions- type in A:\fdisk then choose to look at your partitions and delete all partitions and then create a partition which will then check and format so you have a place to install the Win98 operating system. The best part of all this is that you can mess around all you want and not worry about messing up because you starting anew again! This is the best way and place to learn this, I know that is exactly how I became familiar with it and I still take it slow and read everything and Yes, even make mistakes at times! Once you get going it will ask you to install the cd player drivers and then the disc itself. Good Luck!
No Events found!