Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2006 22:00

DVD drive not functioning/CDRW reads 0 bytes on inserted CD's

System: Dimension 4600
DVD Drive: Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616T
CD Drive: CD-RW CRX216E
Operating System: Windows XP

When opening MYCOMPUTER icon it looks like the PC thinks there is a DVD in the DVD drive as the small "DVD" icon is on the drive. when I click on it to open it says "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function."

When I input a CD in the CD-rw drive (with a VD I know has data on it) it seems to recognize there is a CD in it but states there are 0 bytes on it.

HELP!

15.3K Posts

January 17th, 2006 01:00

Hi Drivefrustrated,

Click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 100, article 40 and see if this helps.

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

January 17th, 2006 21:00

Halfway there! Thanks for the information. I followed the instructions on your link and downloaded a patch for the Roxio CD Creator 5. This corrected the problem with the CD-RW drive as now I can read the CD's that I couldn't before.

On the DVD drive it doesn't give me the error it did before, now it says:

Please insert a disc into drive D:.

Even though I already inserted a DVD tthere. I also opened the CyberLink PowerDVD software and tried to play the disk from there, but then it says

No disc in drive D:

Thank you very much for fixing the other problem -- if you have anything on this I would greatly appreciate it!

15.3K Posts

January 17th, 2006 22:00

Hi Drivefrustrated,

Lets see if this might be a driver issue; click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 15, article 1 and Section 20, article 3.

Best Regards!

difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 01-18-2006 06:39 AM

January 18th, 2006 01:00

Did not fix it. I removed (uninstalled) the DVD-ROM drive (Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616T) and rebooted. Windows did detect the device at reboot (by name) and must have reloaded a driver (although it didn't ask for me to insert the driver disc).

After this the same error messages came up that I previously noted when I tried to play the DVD.

15.3K Posts

January 18th, 2006 09:00

Hi Drivefrustrated,

Check to make sure you have the installation disc for PowerDVD, if you do, then consider uninstalling/reinstalling the software.

I would also suggest you consider the Dell firmware update for the drive if the above does not help.
Samsung 616T

Best Regards!

difference.

CD/RW Link

January 18th, 2006 11:00

Yes, I should have mentioned that yesterday, but I did remove then reinstall the PowerDVD software as I do have the disc, and thanks to you, I am now able to read disc's in the CD-RW drive. Unfortunately it di not resolve the problem. When I get home I will try the Dell Firmware Update.

Thanks!

15.3K Posts

January 18th, 2006 12:00

Keep us posted D !!

Also just to cover as much, will the drive read any other type of media, standard audio CD, CD-R music & data, etc...?

Best Regards!

difference.

CD/RW Link

January 18th, 2006 21:00

Can't run the firmware for the SD-616T as the floppy drive doesn't appear to work....:-)...geez

I tried unistalling the floppy drive (A:) and rebooted to reload the driver, which it did. Whenever I select the floppy drive the PC just goes into coma -- eventualy comes back and says program not responding

Tried several disks with the same results.

On your question about being able to read othe disks other than a DVD in the DVD-ROM drive, no I can not. It gives me the message:

Please insert a disk in Drive D.

15.3K Posts

January 21st, 2006 12:00

Hi D,

Enter the BIOS and verify that the floppy drive is enabled / turned on.

BEst Regards,

Jeff
No Events found!