Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2008 00:00

DVD Rewriter Does Not Recognise A DVD+RW Disc

I recently bought a DVD Rewriter, after getting advice from Dell, to replace the originally fitted DVD ROM (?) in my Dell Dimension 4500, so that I could record my home video movies onto DVD discs.

The DVD Rewriter I was recommended was the ASUS DRW-2014L1 and this was supplied through one of Dell's "Registered Partners". Unfortunately, this "Registered Partner" has been unhelpful, agressive & dismissive as to any after sales help or advice, hence my request on this forum for help or advice.

I have had no trouble saving my videos onto DVD-RW blank DVD disks but when trying to use DVD+RW discs (for use in my Sony DVD Home Player), the rewriter will not recognise them. Both the +RW & -RW discs are brand new Maxell discs, the -RW are 1-2x Speed, Single Sided, 4.7GB & the +RW are 1-4x Speed, Single Sided, 4.7GB.

When there is no disc of any type inserted into the DVD rewriter, it shows in My Computer as: DVD-RAM Drive(D). When a DVD-RW disc is inserted this changes to: CD Drive(D) with a DVD-RW Icon & this is also confirmed when I check on Properties.

However, when a DVD+RW is inserted and although the DVD-RAM Drive(D) changes to CD Drive(D), as with the DVD-RW, no Icon is displayed to show the disc is recognised, nor does it show in Properties.

As far as I can determine from the specs, the ASUS DRW-2014L1 is designed for both + & - DVDs.

I would welcome any help or advice...or am I just dumb?

Thanks,

Tony

Message Edited by ozwald on 09-10-2008 02:36 AM

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 11th, 2008 23:00

Hi, Tony:

Let's just check the media first. Grab DVD Identifier (link below) and use it to determine the media code for each of these discs.

Also, please let me know what program you use to burn to DVD discs.

By the way, when you insert a disc and your drive changes to CD drive, that's normal behavior for a DVD writer.

35 Posts

September 12th, 2008 15:00

I use the program which came with my Hitachi DVD camcorder, it's Image Mixer 3 by Pixela. This allows me to download & organise my video recodings and then when completed, I insert a blank DVD disc into the computer and this saves my edited recording to DVD. 

I clicked on the DVD Identifier link you provided and then, on the first page, I clicked on the Download tab but then on page 2 I don't know which of the several options to click on. One is marked Belgium & another is marked Netherland but I'm in Great Britain (U.K.).

Could you advise waht to do?

Cheers,

Tony

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 13th, 2008 00:00

Tony:

Those are simply server locations. You can use either one to download the file.

35 Posts

September 14th, 2008 15:00

Hi Osprey,

I've now downloaded the DVD Identifier progam (thanks) and here's the results it gave (it gave more info on the DVD+RW than the DVD-RW): 

For The Maxell DVD+RW: 

Unique Disc Identifier: [DVD+RW:RITEK-004-048]

Disc & Book Type: [DVD+RW]-[DVD+RW]

Manufacturer Name: [Ritek Corp]

Manufacturer ID: [RITEK]

Media Type ID: [004]

Product Revison: [048]

Blank Disc Capacity: [2,295,104 Sectors=4.70GB (4.38GiB)]

For The Maxell DVD-RW:

Unique Disc Identifier: [DVD-RW:RITEKW01]

Disc & Book Type: [DVD-RW]-[DVD-RW]

Manufacturer Name: [Ritek Corp]

Manufacturer ID: [RITEK]

Blank Disc Capacity: [2,298,496 Sectors=4.71GB (4.38GiB)]

Cheers,

Tony

Message Edited by ozwald on 09-14-2008 05:36 PM

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 14th, 2008 16:00

Tony:

Ok, so it would appear the DVD drive itself does recognize the media, although Ritek are not my personal favorite. Although Maxell manufacture good media, you can't always trust the label when it's manufactured by someone else.

So that would seem to point to your burning application. Have you tried reinstalling it?

35 Posts

September 14th, 2008 22:00

Osprey,

I will look into doing that in the next few days and let you know what happens.

Unfortunately, I'm away until Wednesday, so I can't do it before then....must go, I'm in the middle of packing.

Cheers,

Tony

35 Posts

September 18th, 2008 07:00

Hi again Osprey,

It would appear that the 'problem' is with the DVD burning program/software supplied with my Digital Camcorder.

The software is Pixela Image Mixer 3 and although the online instructions are over well & over populated with screen shots and easy to follow "click here" instructions, there is a lack of actual/technical information.

However, tucked away on page 87 of 100! there is this piece of info:

3.9: Set a Blank DVD in the Drive

Alert!: Procedures vary depending on the disc you set!

a) For setting with used DVD-RW (go to step 4)

b) For setting blank DVD-R, DVD+R & DVD-RW (go to step 5)

So, from that info, it appears that DVD+RW are not useable?

Cheers,

Tony

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 18th, 2008 22:00

Hi, Tony:

Well, it would seem you need some DVD-RW discs. Strange but true. :)

You should still be able to use those DVD+RW discs for other applications, such as backing up data.

35 Posts

September 19th, 2008 08:00

I already have some DVD-RW discs and have been saving my home videos on them but I needed the DVD+RW discs so that I could use them on my Sony DVP-S325 DVD Home Player, as it won't play anything with a (-) disc, even a simple CD-R!

Hey ho, fortunately I've inherited a £19.99 Alba machine that plays anything without a problem and so the solution seems to be: Record on (-) media discs, play them on the cheep Alba and put the Sony up for offer on Freecycle....never did like the Sony from day one....Grrrrrr!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 19th, 2008 10:00

Alba, huh? There's a name I've nver heard of.

May the force be with you! :D

35 Posts

September 19th, 2008 13:00

Many thanks for your advise & patience.

Cheers,

Tony

Message Edited by ozwald on 09-19-2008 03:03 PM

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 19th, 2008 23:00

You're welcome, Tony.