Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

May 30th, 2000 08:00

DVD Region Code Problem - Help Please

Hi everyone,
I purchased my Dell Lattitude CPx H with a Toshiba SD-C2302 drive and I have already started having problems with it. As you might have guessed it's a region code problem. I travel overseas and I purchase DVD's (naturally), but this DVD-rom only allows me to make 4 region code changes. Anyone have a solution? I have talked to my local Dell helpdesk - guess what? no help...
So if anyone knows of any solutions for this problem please write to me, or post a message here, I would be very greatful.
Thanking you all in advance...

298 Posts

June 10th, 2000 19:00

onur:

Motion picture studios want to control the home release of movies in different countries because theater releases are not simultaneous (a movie may come out on video in the United States when it is just hitting screens in Europe). In addition, studios sell distribution rights to different foreign distributors and would like to guarantee an exclusive market. Therefore, these studios have required that the DVD standard include codes that can be used to prevent playback of certain discs in certain geographical regions. Each player contains a code for the region in which it is sold. The player will refuse to play discs that are not coded for access in that region. This means that discs purchased in one country will not play on players purchased in another country if the countries are in different regions (such as Japan and the USA). Regional codes are entirely optional for the maker of a disc and discs without codes will play on any player in any country. Region codes are a permanent part of the disc
and will not "unlock" or "expire" after a period of time.

Because Dell Inspiron & Latitude products are portable, Dell has determined that changing the player's region code might be necessary for some customers. Changing the player's region code 5 times per machine is allowed by law. The player's DVD region code can be changed a maximum of 5 times (including the initial region set by the customer) using either the DVD program or appropriate utility. When the region setting is changed, you will receive a warning message stating that you are changing the region code and that this is not necessarily recommended. You will be asked to confirm that you want to do this and that there are only x region code changes allowed (x = number of region code changes remaining). Once you confirm that you wish to change the region code, an entry is made in the computer's registry or in the DVD hardware firmware. After the player's region code has been changed 5 times, the DVD program will no longer allow region code changes and you will be locked permanently in the last region code you selected.

There are 6 regions (also called "locales"). Players and discs are identified by the region number superimposed on a world globe. If a disc plays in more than one region it will have more than one number on the globe.

1: Canada, U.S., U.S. Territories
2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East (including Egypt)
3: Southeast Asia, East Asia (including Hong Kong)
4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, Caribbean
5: Former Soviet Union, Indian Subcontinent, Africa (also North Korea, Mongolia)
6: China

2 Posts

January 21st, 2004 18:00

Hi everyone, need some help if you can help,

ok so i have a dvd/cd rom for my latitude laptop, problem is the drivers have locked and i need to unlock them as it has lock on region 1 (usa) but i live in the uk and need to unlock it to play region 2 (uk).

can ne one help??

Feel free to email plz.

thank you Alan Uk.

2.5K Posts

January 21st, 2004 19:00

Alan,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.
The DVD drives only allow you to change the region code 5 times.
On the last time you change it, the drive will lock on that region code.
Bypassing the region code setting is against copy write law.
So...since it is against copy write law, it cannot be discussed on the Dell forum.
But, the information is out there for your to find.
You may want to try searching google for "region free" "no region code" or "dvdidle".
Good luck.

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 00:00

Thanks for your help, i'll give that a try ne more pointer well be most welcome!!

Thanks again

4K Posts

January 23rd, 2004 16:00

Recently, I bought a used Dell DVDROM, an LG DRN8080B and a Dell Margi Decoder PCMCIA card for a friend's CPiD300XT. The drive was picked up by BIOS and W98SE/W2K(Dual Boot) and showed in both Device Managers. The WDM version Margi Drivers were loaded and the card configuration was checked. The Region Tab showed a map with all of the regions outlined, but no Region Selection window  present. I thought that was strange, but OEM hardware is sometimes different than the "name brand" items. When I tried to play a DVD, it refused to recognize that a DVD Disk was in the drive and reported "NO Disk". I then tried the older MCS version Drivers with the same result. I tried a firmware update, version 2.03 and it would not recognize the drive as being there. I then emailed the Seller (Sha Jumma) who so far has refused to answer.  
   From his name, I finally got the idea that he might have been playing DVDs from another region and the DVD was locked to that region; I have a copy of WinDVD which did not come with the DVDROM, and decided to try it, although from previous experience I did not expect accepable performance on the CPi. I was right,  playback was choppy, the sound was distorted, BLAH! So back again to the Margi Card. NOW IT WORKS!! Apparently, running the WinDVD set for Region 1 reset the Region on the Margi card also. I then retried the Firmware flash and it went off like a charm.
    I have since found the DVD Region-Free Software referenced by another Poster and will keep it "in the Bank" for the future. There should be a caveat in this for buyers of used DVDs, if the region changes are used up, expect problems and you may wind up with a expensive CDROM.

21 Posts

January 24th, 2013 07:00

Really wonderful how the motion pic people did that.

Now for Dell my computer has options for Region A Region B .... NO 1,2.3.....

No Events found!