Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 11th, 2007 22:00

DVD+RW acting like regular recordable only

Dell Dimension 2400 with NEC DVD+RW ND-2100 AD here!
I've been having troubles galore with repeated crashes and just had to resort to reinstalling Windows and the whole bit.  Everything else is dreamy now except this drive.
I installed the driver for the drive, but not all the Sonic software that came with the computer.  That's because Sonic doesn't recognize .VOB files and also conflicts with the software that I have to use with .VOB files (that's the type of files from Sony Handicam).
So now the drive is acting like just a recordable drive... not a rewritable drive.  Is it the missing Sonic software?  (Sonic claims to support VOB but it didn't the many times I tried, by the way.)  I wouldn't think that would affect the way the drive operates, but I could be wrong.  I didn't want to install it unless I absolutely had to (don't want to revisit the blue screen errors if I can avoid it!)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 11th, 2007 23:00

Recordable and rewritable drives are the same thing, so I'm not sure I understand the problem. Do you mean that the drive will not recognize RW discs?

What is the application you use with VOB files (these are also known as DVD video files)?

7 Posts

July 12th, 2007 00:00

May be I'm using the wrong terminology...  The difference I mean is between the type that has you burn a CD once and then it's not rewritable again after that... versus the kind that lets you drag and drop as many times as you want, as if to a regular drive or folder on your computer.  I'm using the right type of discs.  The drive recognizes the discs, but just doesn't let me do everything with them that I used to.
As far as VOB files, I had to use the Nero software that came with the Sony camera because none of the Sonic stuff would "recognize" the VOB file type.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 12th, 2007 10:00

alisonmad:

Sounds like you were using a packet writing program, such as Sonic DLA. Reinstall that and you'll be all set. This is a different program than Sonic Recordnow.

7 Posts

July 12th, 2007 12:00

Darn, that's unfortunate, but I suspect you're right.  It's that nasty Sonic DLA that was the first thing to go bad on me, and then it all went downhill from there.  Well, I suppose I'll reinstall it and hope for the best! Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 12th, 2007 23:00

Alison:

You do not have to use DLA. The Windows CD burning wizard might be slightly less convenient but still can do multisession burns, i.e., a few files at a time.

7 Posts

July 13th, 2007 12:00

I already reinstalled Sonic DLA, and will just keep my eye on it.  I suspect the real problem was a conflict between Sonic and Nero, so I'll hold off on installing Nero unless I absolutely need it and can't get Sonic to do what I need.  And then I may consider uninstalling Sonic again or something.  But anyway, it's working as expected now.  I appreciate the help!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 13th, 2007 14:00

Alison:

There should be no problem using DLA and Nero as long as you do not install Nero InCD.

7 Posts

August 13th, 2007 13:00

I'm baaaack!  I really gave my computer the full treatment... reinstalled Windows and all my software and everything.  Then the very FIRST time I made a copy of a disc (a CD-R this time) and then went to "Make Compatible" using Sonic DLA, the computer crashed again!  It's definitely Sonic DLA causing the problem.
Is there a good replacement for Sonic DLA out there? Or should I just upgrade to a newer version, if available?  The version I have is from 3 years ago.  Or is there something else I should be doing to avoid this?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 13th, 2007 15:00

Don't use DLA. Just used the Windows CD burning wizard.

7 Posts

August 13th, 2007 20:00

Without using DLA, I can't rewrite (reuse multiple times) CDs intended for the purpose... once I write a CD, it thinks it done and over with and I can't reuse it again.  And without DLA I have to do the old time-consuming process of pasting files to the folder and then writing the files to CD... whereas with DLA I can drag and drop and reuse.  So I'd like to find something to give me the same functionality.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 14th, 2007 11:00

The XP CD burning wizard allows for multi-session burning, and you can use Explorer to erase any CD-RW disc.

7 Posts

October 3rd, 2007 16:00

I'm baaa-aack!
I avoided the situation for a while.  In the meantime, I tried making one more disc and got a crash again.
So I've now removed Sonic DLA again and tried your suggestions.
I was able to put files on it and then add more later.  However, I cannot delete individual files... it just wants to completely erase the RW disc.  When I try to delete individual files, the drive thinks that the disc is read only, (which it isn't).  It sounds like you imply this when you say that I could erase the disc... you didn't say that I could delete files... so this may all be expected.
If so, that's fine, I suppose.  Though it's much more difficult this way, I guess it's worth it if it saves my computer from major crashes.
But I'd still be interested to investigate replacement software, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
(And death to Sonic DLA!)

Thanks much!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 4th, 2007 09:00

No, you cannot delete individual files from a CD-RW, and yes, the copied files become read-only.

It sounds like you really need something that acts like a big floppy diskette. A flash drive might meet your needs better than burning CD-RW discs.
No Events found!