Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2003 18:00

Can I add a DVD burner to my Inspiron laptop that runs NT 4.0

Can I add a DVD burner to my Inspiron laptop that runs NT 4.0

40 Posts

November 7th, 2003 04:00

Ouch, why still wanna run nt 4 ? Run out and buy or burn you an XP Pro or at least Me or 2000 Pro OS ! At worst Dual boot with your curent NT4 if you are that nostalgic ! Was this nt4 shipping with the machine ? If yes I guess the laptop is under 400 Mhz, so you would need pcmcia dvd hardware decoder to proper view a movie. You would probably have to upgrade HD to store your dVd iso (up to 5 GB are needed + the usual 20% HD space for fast system and controled fragmentation !) More ram would also be required if you have less or equal to 128MB.

Every inspiron can accept a slim line DvD burner, but not all will fit nicely (aestically ?!? <--- He primary speak French) and in some older model, you will need to mount the DvD burner in a caddy from an older cd-rom drive and fit, swap or sand the bezel by yourself ! Connectors for slim line are standard since 233mmx laptops likse size since the few slim lines (before connector standard, uhm my Damm old Teac CD44E, you learned me a few things before been destroyed with an hammer ;-)

As you didn't mentionned too much about yoiur upgrade plans, I also point you out I would prefer been in your case to save that money to upgrade the laptop or to buy a desktop DvD burner, an external usb 2.0 or firewire or combo 5.25 enclosure (ADS make the best one, look ebay) and a Cardbus usb 2.0 or firewire card. Cheaper, easier, faster and beter performer and if you wat by  day to get a desktop, you can put the burner in. Desktop drives are also of better quality (more hard to brake, more solid...) and heat ALOT less, resell alot mroe easily..... bla bla bla...

Finally do I told you to upgrade that NT4 ?

No Events found!