This post is more than 5 years old

A

December 22nd, 2007 22:00

Blu-Ray/Spiderman 3/No work

Spiderman 3 Blu-Ray Disc does not play on Media Direct 3.3

Message Edited by Allin4greeN on 12-23-2007 08:21 AM

48 Posts

December 22nd, 2007 23:00

Neither do any of the other discs in the Spiderman trilogy... It'd be nice if my PC played these titles.

Message Edited by Allin4greeN on 12-23-2007 08:23 AM

3.6K Posts

December 23rd, 2007 01:00

Please do not buy a dell product> Why? I have 5 dell computers and have no problems.Nobody forced you to buy from dell you chose to.

48 Posts

December 23rd, 2007 11:00

I admit the tone of my posts was not appropriate so, I edited them. However, you should realize that I was very frustrated when I first posted.

Since firing up my new Dell, I've had a string of problems related to updating programs. And when I contacted Dell Chat for technical support, I spent over 20 minutes (no exaggeration, I have the logs) explaining who I am, what my phone number is and where my PC was delivered. Does that sound like effective customer service to you?

It's unfortunate that a purchase I was initially very excited about went down this path... that's all that I'm trying to say.

14.4K Posts

December 23rd, 2007 18:00

I'm not sure MD will play BR disks but don't quote me on that...

the latest version of nero showtime will definitely play those disks.

did you try updating your MD version with the update from the dell site?

48 Posts

December 23rd, 2007 19:00

MD has, from what I can tell, a Cyberlink add-on that plays BD's. It works fine for all 4 of the Die Hard BD's and the "extra feature" BD's included with the Spiderman trilogy but, fails to play any of the Spiderman film BD's. I can only assume that it's a problem with BD+ but, I would think then that Die Hard would also be unplayable...

MD has the last available update, as I made sure to do this before putting any BD's in. The other problem I'm having is with a regular DVD. An error message suggests that I need to change the Region setting, except, it's already set to Region 1!

I installed AnyDVD and AnyDVD HD thinking that this might solve the issues. No joy...

Add to this fun, the fact that Trend Micro Internet Security 14 fails to properly update, and I am just not a happy camper with this new Dell notebook...

I suppose my last resort will be to do a clean install and see if I can get things working that way.

48 Posts

December 23rd, 2007 20:00

A few weeks ago there was a thread in the XPS forum regarding BD playback. People were waiting for over a month to get an update that would allow playback of several titles. I don't recall if the Spiderman films were listed but, there were quite a few unhappy customers. Oddly enough, that thread disappeared when the board's parent/child forums were restructured...

Anyway, yeah, I'm real happy with my PC's ability to surf the web but, I ordered a specific configuration on my PC so that I could integrate it into my home theater. Sadly, it appears that this is not possible... Luckily, I purchased an extended warranty. If I cannot get these issues sorted out, my PC is going back to Dell.

6 Posts

December 23rd, 2007 20:00

I've got an Inspiron 1420 and have the same BD issues with Spiderman 3; I also have Hairspray and it won't play either. I've also had terrible luck with Dell Technical support regarding BD play. I haven't seen a firmware update for the installed player, wonder whether the MD updates are supposed to take the place of firmware updates? Very satisfied with the 1420 with the exception of BD play.

6 Posts

December 24th, 2007 13:00

DELL-Chris B  thanks, I've already tried everything I've found on the forums, however, nothing has helped. Bottom line is, Dell needs to provide more updates, like the ones the manufacturers of other players are doing.

48 Posts

Thanks DELL-Chris B,

I'm going to give this a try later this afternoon. Will report back on how it goes.

Happy Holidays everyone!

1.1K Posts

Allin4greeN:

Thanks for visting the Dell Community Forums.

Another user had success performing the following steps. Let me know if it works for you.

1. Open MediaDirect in Windows mode and play the Blu-ray disk which causes this issue.
2. When a pop up for update appears on the screen, click Update Now and download the update patch from internet.
3. Run the patch file and finish the installation procedure.
4. Close the MediaDirect and shut down Windows operating system.
5. Press and restart the system to Dell MediaDirect Express mode.
6. Click Update under MediaDirect menu to sync the patch update from Windows mode to Express mode.

Regards,

48 Posts

December 24th, 2007 18:00

I ran the update with MD in express mode and then started it up again in Windows but, no fix...

On a more positive note, I did finally get Trend Micro up and running properly.

1.1K Posts

December 26th, 2007 10:00

odinala/Allin4greeN:

Check your Private Messages.

Thanks,

48 Posts

December 30th, 2007 12:00

Wanted to thank Chris for trying to resolve my BluRay playback issue.

Media Direct still doesn't work, however, I downloaded PowerDVD Ultra and while it has some quirks, it is playing both BluRay's and HD DVD's. This was, unfortunately, not an inexpensive solution, however, and not what I was hoping for.

On the brighter side, I'm much happier with my PC, now that it works. Does anyone know if Media Direct can be uninstalled? It's literally not worth the space it takes up...

59 Posts

January 2nd, 2008 00:00

Hi, Allin4greeN

I am not sure whether the patches are ready on time in November for Power DVD and MD.

I have tried both on desktop (Power DVD) and laptop (MD) ... it is working fine ... I performed my patch update after mid of December 2007.

59 Posts

January 4th, 2008 14:00

Tnico.

If you check from the web, the spider man 3 is a known issue on major blu-ray play back software rather than blu-ray drive issue. I bet Dell team is working on it, they may just take a little bit more time.
No Events found!