Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2005 13:00

preventing auto-resizing of Excel pie-charts

Hi,

I'm working with numerous Excel pie-charts in Office XP Pro (2002). They all need to be the same size. I started with a template chart and have made copies and then change the source data. I want to display the category name for each slice of pie with a leader line. This works fine, however if I delete a leader line (because a particular category has a value of zero percent) it causes the chart to resize relative to the other charts. How do I prevent this?

Thanks.

15 Posts

June 16th, 2005 15:00

If I understand you right, I think you'll have to go in and manually set each and every font setting for each chart.  By default, Excel scales charts up to fit the space they're given.  So, when you delete a category, Excel (helpfully?) scales the chart.

At one point, I had written a VBA macro set all the fonts for a chart, but don't have it handy.

Here's a MS Knowledgebase article that proposes something similar:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;834579

45 Posts

June 16th, 2005 16:00

Hi, Thanks, but I've seen that knowledge base article which talks about the fonts. I don't care about the font size (which can, if necessary, be set manually). My problem is the actual size (diameter) of the pie, which changes as I delete the orphan leader lines containing category names for which there is no data (0%). Curiously, the font size stays the same, only the pie-chart gets bigger. I'm stumped. I also posted to MrExcel.com and to Microsoft but haven't heard anything from those sources. Cheers.
No Events found!