Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

February 17th, 2005 14:00

Unable to Insert Symbol in MS Word

I, too, have a problem with Word re: Insert, Symbol.
I have tried the suggested fix and it did NOT work for me.
When i attempt to drag Symbol from the right list to Insert in the left list, as soon as i cross from one to the other, the + changes to a bold X.

(Also, when i try to use "Insert, Symbol" in Word, the application shuts down and restarts with a saved version of my document. I am unable to insert a symbol using the Alt key and a sequence of numbers, either.)
Thanks for any/all suggestions.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place...i am new and couldn't find out how to add to the previous thread i found on this subject.)

10 Elder

• 

44.5K Posts

February 18th, 2005 03:00

Open Word and select Help>Detect and Repair
Follow the prompts...

Ron

1.7K Posts

February 18th, 2005 11:00

Close Word. Then follow these steps...

You can try deleting the Data key in the registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data

Start, Run, type regedit and click OK

Click the + to the left of HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Look for the Software entry and click the + to the left

Look for the Microsoft entry and click the + to the left

Look for the Office entry and click the + to the left

Look for the 11.0 entry (or 10.0 if Office XP is installed) and click the + to the left

(Having fun yet?)

Look for the Word entry and click the + to the left

Look for the Data entry and select it. Right click and choose delete. Close the Registry Editor

Restart Word and see if you can insert symbols. If not let me know.

Message Edited by abach on 02-18-2005 08:57 AM

5 Posts

February 18th, 2005 11:00

Thanks for the suggestion -- i have already tried that (twice) and it didn't work.
I've also gone into the Fonts in Control Panel and made sure the "Symbols" was associated/could open in Word.
Still no luck.

GrrGal

1.7K Posts

February 18th, 2005 12:00

OK, have you tried deleting your normal.dot template?

5 Posts

February 18th, 2005 12:00

Thanks for the help Allan...but it didn't work.

When i tried to use "Insert, Symbol" again, the same window pops up that says: Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

An Error Report is then created and i am asked if i want to report it to Microsoft. I did the first few times but have not lately since it seems to be the same thing.

I don't understand most of the report except for the time datestamp.

Thanks for your effort. This one is a real bugger.

GrrGal

1.7K Posts

February 18th, 2005 13:00

Try this:

Quit all instances of Word. If you use Word as your e-mail editor, be sure to quit Microsoft Outlook as well.

Click Start, and then click Search.

Click All Files and Folders.

Click More advanced options, and then click to select the Search hidden files and folders check box.

In the All or part of the file name box, type normal.dot.

In the Look in box, select your local hard disk (or an alternate user template location if you are running Word from a network server).

Click Search to search for the file.

In the right pane of the Search Results dialog box, right-click Normal.dot, and then click Rename on the shortcut menu that appears. Type a new file name (for example, OldNormal.dot), and then press ENTER.

Close the Search Results dialog box, and then restart Word the way that you normally do.

5 Posts

Allan...i just completed a Search for "normal.dot" (without the quotes) on my C: drive and it was not found.

Joan (GrrGal)

5 Posts

Sorry, Allan...looked for a way to do that & couldn't find it.
GrrGal
No Events found!