Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

November 3rd, 2010 09:00

Microsoft Office 2010 Professional - 3 User

Currently using Office 2002 Pro and have a new Windows 7 PC on the way. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while, and the new PC forces the issue, since I've heard that Office 2002 (particularly Outlook) does nor play nicely with Windows 7. I need 3 licenses: 1 desktop, 2 notebooks.

I've found some good deals from highly rated online vendors, but listed as "Academic Box". Their website says:

"Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Retail AE - 3 Installs (Download and Disc)

Academic box. This is the EXACT same program as the non academic retail software. No special requirements needed to purchase or activate the software.

This software package comes with a product key that you can use to load and activate the software on up to THREE machines. Download instructions are emailed during regular business hours Monday to Friday and periodically throughout the weekend. The media will be sent within two days of ordering via USPS."

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Rob

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

November 3rd, 2010 10:00

ieee488- Thanks for the good information. Inability to upgrade may not be an issue. Just looking for a good deal from a reputable vendor for a 3-user setup. If anyone has any shopping tips, please let me know!

Rob

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 3rd, 2010 10:00

With Academic Editions, you cannot buy an upgrade for it. This means that when Microsoft comes out with Office 2012, you will need to buy a full version and not the upgrade version. Since AE are generally very well priced, it may be worth it for you to pay "full price" for the next version's AE.

2.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2010 12:00

This is a false statement "Academic box. This is the EXACT same program as the non academic retail software. No special requirements needed to purchase or activate the software."  There are special requirements to insatall Academic Software.  It can not be legally sold without proof of an Adademic affilition, You must be either a student of a facatilly of a certitied school. 

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

November 3rd, 2010 14:00

This is a false statement "Academic box. This is the EXACT same program as the non academic retail software. No special requirements needed to purchase or activate the software."  There are special requirements to insatall Academic Software.  It can not be legally sold without proof of an Adademic affilition, You must be either a student of a facatilly of a certitied school. 

Says you. http://www.softwareking.com/O2K10PA3D-p-office-2010-pro.html

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 3rd, 2010 18:00

Well, what that website is doing is illegal. But academic doesn't mean just college. If you have a child in school, you can legally buy it.

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

November 3rd, 2010 18:00

You must be either a student of a facatilly of a certitied school. 

Then I guess you wouldn't qualify- at least not as an English major! :emotion-4:

2.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2010 20:00

Very cute, but your comment is uncalled for.  I actually am qualified for Academic pricing, although I get my Microsoft software through the MSDN. 

No Events found!