Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

January 15th, 2018 15:00

Dell Precision T3500 chipset overheating

I recently purchased a used Precision T3500 Workstation.

T3500 Motherboard

The chipset, which is located near the RAM slots (under the aluminium heatsink with the Z-bracket),  seems to work at really hot temperatures (I cannot touch the heatsink). Sometimes, the computer shuts down and the BIOS logs indicates CPU/chipset overheating (CPU is running at 40°C~50°C). I would like to replace the chipset heatsink by a better one.

Does someone know which thermal compound has been applied to this chip? It is quiet hard to remove and I do not want to damage the board..

An other solution would be to mount a fan on the existing heatsink. I think it is a 64mmx64mmx20mm (approx.) heatsink. However, I need to find a fan with brackets designed to be mounted on top of the heatsink which is not common.

Does anyone have a solution? Thanks for your answers

59 Posts

January 29th, 2022 18:00

• I’m just assuming you have the Xeon processor. From what I understand, Xeons tend to run cooler than the i series processors. My T3500 has a blue plastic piece that snaps in place to direct air from one of the 120mm front case fans across the motherboard, which cools the ram and cpu. My suggestion would be to make sure your front case fans are working, and see if you can find the plastic piece that’s supposed to direct the air across the motherboard. My other suggestion would be to mount 2 fans in the rear of the case blowing out to pull heat out of your case. There are several YouTube videos covering the T3500 if you just type T3500 in the search area.
No Events found!