Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2016 19:00

Supported RAM config of r815 - Dual Rank versus Quad Rank

Hello,

I am hoping to find a little more recent info on the supported RAM configurations for an r815.

The latest info I could find is this 2010 dated doc here:

www.dell.com/.../Poweredge-R815-Technical-Guidebook2010.pdf

According to this document, there are no supported RAM configurations employing Dual Rank 16GB DIMMs.  Specifically note the 256 and 512GB configurations which all call for either dual rank 8GB DIMMs, or 16GB quad rank DIMMs.

What I would like to know is this:

Is that a hardware limitation that persists today, or was that sheet a function of the type and size of DIMMs available at the time of publication?  Going to QR DIMMs means dropping RAM speed to 1066MHz, so there is a penalty to be paid for using QR DIMMs in any config.  Can anyone tell me with certainty whether this limitation still exists?

Thank you for your time!

• 

8.8K Posts

August 24th, 2016 08:00

TheITSource.

While the R815 didn't actively support 16GB dual Rank dimms at the time of it's release, it does support them currently. It looks like support was added for the dual rank 16GB dimms around the end of 2011. 

One thing I would verify before trying to install them is that the R815 BIOS and iDrac are up to date and current.

• 

8.8K Posts

August 26th, 2016 14:00

Where you locate the manuals you will find release notes regarding changes like these. Unfortunately there isn't a specific tool to do this.

August 24th, 2016 11:00

Hi Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to answer that.  Question - I may have similar RAM questions for other servers in our data center.  Is there a link or resource you can share with me that provides the more recent supported RAM population topologies for various servers?  When searching, I always find the original ones released with the server, and it seems that these are updated from time to time.  It sure would save me a lot of time and also save effort on your end if I didn't have to go ask a person for them.

Thank you again!

No Events found!