Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 8th, 2016 12:00

R730 8-bay SFF expansion to 16-bay SFF?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find a way to expand an 8-bay SFF R730 to a 16-bay SFF setup by getting a second 8-bay backplane and drive cage. 

Two questions: 

1.  Is this possible/supported?

2. What hardware is needed to accomplish this?

The system board is the 599V5 which is supposedly compatible with the 8 or 16-bay configurations, but I'm pretty sure these chassis are not modular.  Can anyone lend their knowledge?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 8th, 2016 15:00

Hello.

I'm trying to find a way to expand an 8-bay SFF R730 to a 16-bay SFF setup by getting a second 8-bay backplane and drive cage. 

Two questions: 

1.  Is this possible/supported?

The system chassis configuration is only decided at the point of sale. After point of sale, no chassis upgrade is supported.

What hardware is needed to accomplish this?

You need a supporting flex bay to upgrade from 8 hard drive chassis to 16 hard drive chassis. Unfortunately, the bay is only available at the point of sale

1 Rookie

• 

207 Posts

September 8th, 2016 13:00

To add a little background info, we have a couple of different dell partners telling us to simply swap the backplane and add a drive cage from an R720.  Trouble is, the R720's drive cage is riveted to the chassis with 6 rivets.  We could drill the rivets out but don't think for a second that that's a standard bay expansion procedure for an R730.  Edit:  We're finding out that the R720 has both a fixed cage (center) and a removable cage (right side).  We're told that that right-side cage is removable from an R720, and it's the same piece that will go to into the R730.  Can anyone verify this?

2 Posts

October 16th, 2020 09:00

there is an upgrade 4G4F6 that has the 16 port backplane and 8 bay cage for the R730

No Events found!