Start a Conversation

Unsolved

GP

3 Posts

January 29th, 2022 06:00

PowerEdge T440 no power, clicking, motherboard LED flashing

Hi!

We have a PowerEdge T440 that we have not been using for about two years. We are trying to power it up now but when the power cables are plugged in there is a rhythmic clicking noise coming from the PSUs (they sync up after a few seconds and click every half a second once). At the same time with the clicking there is an LED flashing on the motherboard's top left corner. The server does not power up, shows no sign of power except for the clicking and the LED flashing. When the PSUs are plugged in their LEDs are off, when pulled out and tested they show green LED on both.

The battery on the MB was replaced with a fresh one.

Please advise - Thank you!

• 

278 Posts

January 31st, 2022 03:00

Hello Gyula.Patay,

I am sorry you faced with this issue.

Could you please write, what PSUs are installed (if possible, please write Dell Part Number). Are the both power supply units of the same type and wattage?

Could you please also send a picture of system board with LED? I would like to check in documentation, what this flashing LED means, but it is important to know its exact location.

Have you tried swapping PSU?

I would like also to recommend Minimum to Post configuration, in regards to this Knowledge Base Article:

https://dell.to/34oCeJ2

Minimum to POST configuration:

One processor (CPU) in socket processor 1

One memory module (DIMM) in socket A1

One power supply unit

PDB/PIB and cable

System board

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Thanks

January 31st, 2022 14:00

Hi Maria,

Both PSUs are identical (model number: D750E-S6). I tried switching them, removing one and booting only with the other, when pulled out and tested both are solid green. (CPU is inserted, memory is in A1 slot, system board and components are exactly the way they were when it was running.)

PSUPSU

Attached picture of the LED:Dell LED3.jpg

• 

278 Posts

February 1st, 2022 04:00

Hello Gyula.Patay,

Thank you for your reply and pictures. I've checked PSU, it is compatible with server. In regards to the LED, unfortunately, I didn't find in manual what this LED means, but I could suppose LED is responsible for System power connector. 

What UPS is used? 

Did server start with minimum configuration (minimum to POST)? In case installed and plugged PSUs have LEDs off, but when you pull out them and LEDs are green, issue could be connected with PIB or Motherboard, but not with PSUs. 

Minimum to POST configuration could help to isolate an issue. 

Does server have active warranty?

Thanks,

February 1st, 2022 07:00

Hi Maria,

The server's warranty expired about a half a year ago. Currently there is no UPS and everything is connected directly to the power outlets (to eliminate UPS related issues). Strangely without anything being touched the server worked flawlessly two years ago (no component was removed or replaced).

When I press the power button nothing happens. The fans do not move, the server remains powered down. I tried holding down the power button to drain the system from power when unplugged but nothing happened after.

Tested the minimum to POST configuration and nothing happened. The only extra is the RAID controller and an HDD that is inside the server. (After the unsuccessful test I placed them back.)

• 

278 Posts

February 1st, 2022 07:00

Hello Gyula.Patay,

Thank you for your reply. If the server still does not complete POST with minimum configuration, I suppose problem with System Board, CPU or DIMM.

Knowledge base article:

https://dell.to/34sAhLG

In some cases No Post/No Power issues also could be connected with failed DIMM or CPU. How many CPU and DIMMs are installed? Is it possible to test Minumum to POST confirguration with other DIMM or CPU?

Thank you.

No Events found!