Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2016 06:00

PE T330 servers - Memory is detected, but is not configurable.

Installed three PwereEdge T330 servers for three different clients in the past few months.  They have 16GB, 24GB and 32GB memory, respectively.  All three exhibits the same problem:

- when the computer is restarted(automated), it stalls out at the POST with error message "Memory is detected, but is not configurable."  Nothing will happen unless user reboots it physically with the power button.  The error will show up in the log of Dell OpenManage.

I have updated the BIOS, iDRAC firmware, Chipset, etc. .Re-seated the memory modules as well but still behaving the same.

This is unique only to PE T330 because I have a few T320, T310, and T410 with no such issue.

Please help.  Thanks.

4 Posts

December 27th, 2016 11:00

Contacted Dell Technical Support today and got the following information

- this issue is affecting the 130, 230 and 330 series

- draining power on the server with the power button will get it to post correctly the next power up

- a BIOS update to correct this issue is in the working and scheduled Q1 2017

Hope this helps.  Not deploying any more of these until issue is fixed.

1 Message

March 24th, 2017 10:00

We get this issue on occasion as well on our T330 servers that we have deployed in the field (probably about 50 or so at this point...)

Same thing that has been mentioned previously... power it off and back on after we get the error, and it boots fine the second time.

Was doing a bit of digging today and came across this thread.. then checked the Drivers and Support page.. and looks like there was a BIOS update released.. yesterday.  (2.08) and in among the release notes....

Fixes
-System may stop responding at "Loading BIOS Drivers" bar after the system is turned on.

Enhancements
-Enhanced reliability support for the system memory test.

So.... may be resolved at this point.

Figured I might as well post that it is out in case anyone else was still waiting/looking for it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 10:00

Hello.

when the computer is restarted(automated), it stalls out at the POST with error message "Memory is detected, but is not configurable."  Nothing will happen unless user reboots it physically with the power button.

This message is displayed early in system power on, thus the system may not display video. Ensure that the memory is correctly installed and populated hence memory DIMMs on slots A1 &A2 must be the same. Memory DIMMs on slots A3 &A3 must also be the same and smaller than DIMMs on slots A1 &A2. Reboot the server and monitor the message.

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 12:00

Thanks for your reply:

These servers do not have the problem all the time.  By that I mean when I am onsite and try to restart them multiple times, they are just fine.  Only after when they have been running for a while (3-4 weeks) this issue crops up.

All these servers were built-to-order from Dell. I would like to believe that the memory size and positioning are correct from the factory. For instance, the one with 16GB has 2x 8GB modules in A1 and A2. 

1 Message

December 23rd, 2016 16:00

I can confirm with R230.

SEL: "Memory is detected, but is not configurable."

RAM: 2 x HMA451U7AFR8N-TF

Absolutely the same behavior. First reboot from OS = failure. Then it works.

3 Posts

December 26th, 2016 08:00

We are also experiencing this issue. If the sockets and memory are good, will Dell be releasing a firmware update to resolve this issue?

1 Message

January 9th, 2017 03:00

This is fantastic. We have an R330 with this exact problem, so we look forward to receiving the bios update as soon as possible.

2 Posts

January 11th, 2017 08:00

I have a new R330 with a single factory installed 16gb dimm that started having the problem 2 months after deployment.  Currently have BIOS 1.3.2

1 Message

January 20th, 2017 05:00

Has this been fixed yet?!  I have a production T330 that halts due to this exact issue on reboot...

4 Posts

January 20th, 2017 10:00

No yet. The latest BIOS for T330 on Dell's website is still version 1.4.5 dated 12Oct16.  You can sign up to get a notification when they release a new version.

Also, call Dell Support to log a case with them to say that you are having this issue.  Maybe the more people call to express their concern, the more they will hurry up in coming up with a solution. 

When I called them the last time they termed this issue as "Cosmetics Issue"   Just 'Cosmetics'.....really?.  When you have 5 servers that you have to manage remotely and do occasional restarts, and all the users start calling early in the morning when they can't work .....they called it "Cosmetics"....go figure.

11 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 06:00

A scheduled reboot of an R330 after windows update overnight.

This morning it was not powered on.
The message I received on screen was 'Memory Error. An error was detected during memory initialization'.

Pressed power button to power off. Re-pressed to power on & booted fine.

The error in the Open Manage Server Administration logs read

'Memory is detected, but is not configurable'.

BIOS version is 1.2.5, OS is Windows 2012 R2.

Have signed up to notifications and will contact support. Hopefully they provide a fix soon.
Certainly not a 'cosmetic issue' - not being able to schedule a reboot on a server is quite a major issue.

743 Posts

May 29th, 2017 18:00

Thx eight. I was looking for it just now. :emotion-2:

JB

1 Message

August 6th, 2018 05:00

Any update on this thread? Same issue as of 8/6/2018 on T330 server. 

No Events found!