Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 8th, 2011 10:00

Minimum and Maximum Energy Consumption

I have searched high and low, been on phone, chat and email support and still cant seem to find the minimum and maximum energy consumption for PE 2950 and 1950.  I've used the Datacenter Capacity Planner tool and found the system heat/power, but I need both minimum and maximum and this does not show that.  I've found it for other models so I know its out there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Victoria

62 Posts

September 9th, 2011 04:00

Hi, if you open the "DCCP 3.04 Web Version" link, you can select your server, then edit the components to match your setup and change the load type to either idle or benchmark.  This should hopefully give you an idea of the power consumption.

Steve

www.dell.com/.../config_calculator

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

September 8th, 2011 10:00

The minimum will be 0, when it's powered off and disconnected from the power source (to kill the power used by the DRAC and/or WOL).

The max is the actual powerrating of a single powersupply.

The real numbers are dependent on your processor model, your memory (number of dimms, sizes, voltage, etc), expansion cards, drives (size, speed, brand and model), and probably several other factors that don't come to mind right now.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 8th, 2011 11:00

There is not a single number because these servers can be 2U or 6U with Dual Quads and Tons of memory and

6 drives or More etc.  They can also have 2 or more power supplies.

The min power is never ZERO because the DRAC has a seperate power brick similar to a 90w laptop adapter.

The Dell PE2950 has a manufacturer’s rating of 750W PER PSU, however this rating can vary by +/- 20% depending upon the operating efficiency of the primary power supply.  The operating efficiency is mainly affected by temperature but there are a host of other things that can affect the operation as well.

Start by calculating an operational range for a single server:

750W + 20% = 900W

750W – 20% = 600W

The next step is to determine the Amperage: W/VAC=A

900W/120VAC = 7.5A (max)

750W/120VAC = 6.25A (spec)

600W/120VAC = 5A (min)

The operating load of the Powerstrips must be determined.  This is where the 20% variation in operating efficiency is important.  If you load the Powerstrips over 80% you can run the risk of overloading the breaker under a maximum load.

20A * 80% = 16A

20A * 85% = 17A

20A * 90% = 18A

Using these guidelines you can easily determine how many PE2950′s you can plug into your 20A Powerstrips:

7.5A * 2 = 15A (max load)

6.25A * 2 = 12.5A (spec)

5A * 3 = 15A (min load)

Dell PowerEdge 1950 servers use dual or quad 670 watt power supplys  Dell part number 430-2244.

4 Posts

September 8th, 2011 12:00

www.dell.com/.../PE_1650.pdf

this is what i am looking for.  If you scroll down you can find both under energy consupmtion underneath the Performance Data heading.  I realize that these numbers will generally vary depending on many factors, but i'm looking for a general idea for this type of sever as I have found on the attached for the 1650.

4 Posts

September 8th, 2011 12:00

I'm looking for the minimum wattage when sitting on and idle, and the maximum as in peak wattage used.  Thanks for the response.

802 Posts

September 8th, 2011 13:00

Found this link for the PE 2950 Environmental Data Sheet.

www.dell.com/.../pe_2950.pdf

and the PE 1950

www.dell.com/.../pe_1950.pdf

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

Please follow @DellProSupport on Twitter: www.twitter.com/DellProSupport

4 Posts

September 9th, 2011 08:00

DELL - Stever R, thank you for your help, I was unaware that you could change the load type to idle.  I've found what I needed!  Thanks again!

1 Message

September 18th, 2012 20:00

You are a daring fellow to claim the work above.  When taking information from somewhere else, you should give credit where credit is due.  You claim to be a Rockstar when in fact you are a thief.  The information that you have provided above was orginally posted on January th, 2008 at 3:04 PM by a user with the name will.  You copied word for word with the exception of adding the words PER PSU in the first sentence of Paragraph 4.

http://www.server-racks.com/dell-poweredge-server-power-requirements.html

No Events found!