Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 23rd, 2016 02:00

Initializing iDrac ...

Hi,

we have a problem with our Dell R320 server. It shows "Initializing iDrac .." when starts and after a while funs are run on full speed and the server reboot itself. Problem is, that server has no iDrac installed. I had been waiting x minutes till server starts and then I updated all firmwares via DVD, but no change. I also tried to clear NVRAM, power off server by removing power cord, press power button for 15seconds, power on server again, no luck.

Do you have any advice what should I do? Server has no warranty.

Thank you for any ideas.

Jiri (George)

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

October 3rd, 2016 15:00

Problem solved!

Just use this guide:

buildingtents.wordpress.com/.../

Thanks!

• 

6.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2016 10:00

Hello

we have a problem with our Dell R320 server. It shows "Initializing iDrac .." when starts and after a while funs are run on full speed and the server reboot itself. Problem is, that server has no iDrac installed.

Even though you did not purchase the optional iDRAC express or iDRAC enterprise upgrade options you still have an iDRAC. The BMC is the iDRAC. The license you install in the server determines its functional level.

after a while funs are run on full speed and the server reboot itself.
I had been waiting x minutes till server starts and then I updated all firmwares via DVD, but no change.

The fans will run at full speed if the iDRAC/BMC is not operational. The iDRAC/BMC controls fan speeds. I'm confused by your statement that the server reboots itself because you stated after that you were able to update all of the firmware. What did you use to update firmware? If the system is allowing you to enter the lifecycle controller or boot to alternate media to perform updates then the reboot issue is unrelated to the BMC. The BMC is not required for the system to boot.

I also tried to clear NVRAM, power off server by removing power cord, press power button for 15seconds, power on server again, no luck.

One of the most common causes for iDRAC initialization issues is USB devices connected to the system. Any USB device that is faulty, not compatible, or draws too much power can cause the iDRAC to not initialize. Almost any hardware attached to the system can affect other hardware, but USB devices are the most common with iDRAC initialization. If the issue persists with USB devices disconnected then I would take the system to minimum to POST.

Thanks

2 Posts

September 26th, 2016 06:00

The fans will run at full speed if the iDRAC/BMC is not operational. The iDRAC/BMC controls fan speeds. I'm confused by your statement that the server reboots itself because you stated after that you were able to update all of the firmware. What did you use to update firmware? If the system is allowing you to enter the lifecycle controller or boot to alternate media to perform updates then the reboot issue is unrelated to the BMC. The BMC is not required for the system to boot.

Thank you for your response and explanation of iDrac. During the first start, it shows "Initializing iDrac ..", after a while the server reboots itself, there is again notice "Initializing iDrac .." but after that it continue booting. So each server start require one reboot and then it works with full fan speed. I used Dell ISO from this site.  I also noticed, that Lifecycle controler is disabled when Dell logo is shown during the boot.

So do you think, that the main problem is with the BMC?

Thank you

• 

6.2K Posts

September 28th, 2016 10:00

So do you think, that the main problem is with the BMC?

Yes, it sounds like an issue with the BMC.

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

October 1st, 2016 16:00

I have exactly the same problem. Dont know what to do.

It starts when I was trying to upgrade my R610 with Dell firmware update LiveDVD (Centos65-OM74-Firmware-LiveDVD.x86_64-1.1.0-Build6.1.iso). The update stuck at Lifecycle Controller for about one hour, so I have to manually reboot it.

All the fans were spinning at the maximum speed and server's little LED screen was completely blank. After a quick reboot the server spent around 1 minute sitting at completely blank screen. When POST messages finally appeared, under the boot options, instead of F10 - System Services, there was text "System Services Disabled".

After another minute or so trying to initialize iDRAC, the server displayed error message "Alert! iDRAC 6 not responding. Rebooting" and rebooted.

I cant do a Lifecycle Controller firmware update, it's always saying "Inventory failure. Internal error: get inventory from lcl failure". Tried to do through Windows, Linux and LiveDVD.

Really don't know what to do.

1 Message

November 6th, 2017 21:00

That's my blog! Glad it could help!

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

July 11th, 2019 12:00

I have the same exact problem. Tried the Solution given, but no change. Any other suggestions?

No Events found!