Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2013 14:00

Dell R720 + 6 pin pcie power

I have a dell R720 and a pcie card that requires a 6 pin pcie power source.  The only thing I see inside the dell case for power is an 8 PIN connector on the riser card. 

What's the recommended way ( or even better .. part number! ) to get power to PCI cards that require a standard 6pin pcie power source?  

Thanks

990 Posts

July 26th, 2013 15:00

The PE 720 supports power to selected GPU's , but doesn't support power to any other cards.  Here is a link to the supported GPU's: http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/poweredge-gpu   To install, you will need a GPU installation kit as well.

Regards,

3 Posts

July 26th, 2013 15:00

When you say it doesn't support power to any other cards (are there server models that do?) ... Most of the GPUs I've seen require the standard 6 pin PCIE.  Are the ones from your list custom for Dell or something?

Also, would you possibly have a link to the GPU installation kit?  I'm curious to see what that looks like.

990 Posts

July 26th, 2013 16:00

I could only find a part number for the kit: 331-8803 , 99.99 through Dell Sales.   I apologize I couldn't find a picture. Some of the new 12th generation  servers can use the GPU's and one of the first of Dell's servers to have these. At this time, there isn't any support for other cards from Dell.  This doesn't preclude their usage, they just aren't supported.

Regards,

3 Posts

July 27th, 2013 17:00

Understood.  I'm not worried so much about support ( as in I need help with this or would expect dell to troubleshoot it ) ... I'm just more interested in finding a way to get power to the card.  The only internal option seems to be that 8 pin on the riser which I've not seen anywhere else.  I'm guessing that GPU kit must convert it to a 6 PIN?

• 

6.2K Posts

July 27th, 2013 18:00

The only internal option seems to be that 8 pin on the riser which I've not seen anywhere else.  I'm guessing that GPU kit must convert it to a 6 PIN?

The GPGPU kit contains replacement heatsinks since the original heatsinks are too tall for the supported GPUs to be installed. It contains brackets to support the GPGPU, and it contains two power connectors that attach to the risers. The power connectors are 6+2, so they can be used for 6 or 8 pin cards.

Thanks

No Events found!